Do you believe in ghosts?

by Newborn 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Newborn
    Newborn

How to explain paranormal activities? (I do know that's a horror movie title)

Some of my friends have experienced "strange" things lately and many people does, so there has to be something, I think?

If it's dead people I don't know...but something...it can be very scary.

I remember we were taught to call Jehovahs name loud and it /they would disappear and it normally worked I guess. How to explain that?

Any thoughts?

/Newborn

• chickpea
    chickpea

i wont say that there isnt some kind of
    unknown effect initiated by forces yet to be
    identified, but i cannot buy into the
    idea of wayward spirits looking for
    "closure" or seeking some sort
    of retribution for abuse....

i LOL at the antics of the ghost hunters
    who have devices to record the disembodied
    "voices" of spooks... what, i wonder, in an
    "ethereal body" creates the vibrations for
    sound waves that could actually be recorded?
    i LOVE the "at that exact moment" translation
    of static into supposed dialog with ghosts....
    ALWAYS fitting the scenario the producers
    spoon fed the audience at the introduction

there might be phenomenon,
    but it aint the living dead....

just my opinion, btw...
    people can believe
    what they want

• carvin
    carvin

I believe in them totally. I've seen them. Well i have seen some things that I guess it is just easier to call them ghosts. Never anything like the scarry movies, just strange sightings and feelings of someone/something there. I don't talk about it much as even my friends and family think i'm looney tunse- which I very well may be.

I have, on several occations, been walking in the woods or on a street and had conversations with someone I've passed, and when they say something "profound/strange" I've looked at them and they were not there. I know I'm nuts.

There have been other things too, but there you go.

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

Now that the Russians have better things to do than building nuclear bombs, they're making some great discoveries in this area:

Russian DNA Discoveries Explain Human 'Paranormal' Events

http://www.rense.com/general62/expl.htm

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

No. Carl Sagan 'wrote the book' on this topic.

As an example, Sagan relates the story of the invisible fire-breathing dragon living in his garage. He asks, "what's the difference between an invisible, incorporeal, floating dragon who spits heatless fire and no dragon at all? If there's no way to disprove my contention, no conceivable experiment that would count against it, what does it mean to say that my dragon exists? Your inability to invalidate my hypothesis is not at all the same thing as proving it true."

Sagan presents a set of tools for skeptical thinking which he calls the "baloney detection kit". Skeptical thinking consists both of constructing a reasoned argument and recognizing a fallacious or fraudulent one. In order to identify a fallacious argument, Sagan suggests the employment of such tools as independent confirmation of facts, quantification and the use of Occam's razor. Sagan's "baloney detection kit" also provides tools for detecting "the most common fallacies of logic and rhetoric", such as argument from authority and statistics of small numbers. Through these tools, Sagan argues the benefits of a critical mind and the self-correcting nature of science can take place.

Sagan provides a skeptical analysis of several examples of what he refers to as superstition, fraud, pseudoscience and religious beliefs, such as gods, witches, UFOs, ESP and faith healing. However, based on what he describes as "some, although still dubious experimental support," Sagan calls for serious scrutiny of a handful of seemingly inexplicable phenomena such as reincarnation and psychokinesis, not because he regards them as likely to be true, but because anomalous data deserves close scientific study.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Demon-Haunted_World

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit