MIL gives advice on how to "cope"

by AggieNostic 9 Replies latest jw friends

• AggieNostic
    AggieNostic

My wife's parents just can't stand that we haven't been to meetings since 2005. Both are pioneers, retired, active fanatical JWs.

Anyway, today MIL called the wife and after pleasantries, stated that we should really think about coming back to the meetings so we can better cope. My wife answered: "cope with what?" MIL: "cope with this old system of things..." wife: "hmmm... we seem to be coping pretty well now"

MIL: "well, nobody can really cope in this old world without Jehovah!!!!" and within seconds ended the phone call abruptly and hung up.

Isn't that true about JWs? they feel that you can only be happy and "cope" by going to meetings. Reality for us is that we are happier now than ever before. So much pressure, fear, and never feeling good enough while being a JW.

Thoughts?

• FreeAtLast1914
    FreeAtLast1914

Aggie,

I've been down the "I'm happier now than I've ever been" road with my JW family. They look at me in stunned disbelief, and then tell me it's impossible without the "truth".

They'll never see it by you telling them. They will only see it when they're ready.

• 3Mozzies
    3Mozzies

I've had the same conversation with family as well. They just don't get it. They are under such 'mind control' that they think this system is unlivable and we all need the New System™ asap otherwise we will all lose the plot.

Ever since I left I have NEVER been happier! Being a JW is the problem, not this system. The guilt, fear and constant boring meetings etc... makes you yearn for the New System™.

Once you leave, those things vanish and life for me now seems wonderful and I see things in colour instead of the 'JW Grey'.

It hurts if you have family and friends still caught up in the JW Spider-Web, you seeing them struggle and scream for the New System™ because the evil of this world (spider) is coming to get them. They don't realize that the Spider is their religion. What a trap!!!

3Mozzies

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

For those of us born-in, we don't know how to live without the WTS mindset and rules, so it seems unfathomable that anyone who leaves the WTS could be happy.

It's not until you do leave, you realise that being a JW actually contributed to your unhappiness, and that not being a JW anymore actually brings happiness, not the other way round.

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

"Being a JW is the problem, not this system. The guilt, fear and constant boring meetings etc... makes you yearn for the New System™."

3Mozzies - Couldn't have said it better...my MIL tried to pull the same thing on me the other day about the economy and how bad it was. After I hung up with her I asked my husband if it was any worse than "The Great Depression"? I don't see people throwing themselves off 20-story buildings these days.

Broken Promises - you are dead on!

• zoiks
    zoiks

I used hear that line a lot. But look at the fine print... "We can't cope in this Wicked Old World TM without Jehovah's Organization TM and a healthy dose of antidepressants and alcohol."

• Ding
    Ding

AggieNostic wrote, "So much pressure, fear, and never feeling good enough while being a JW."

Read through the JWN threads and see how often this statement occurs in one form or another.

All works oriented systems are characterized by this, the WTS especially with its emphasis on field service and Armageddon always being just around the corner.

This is the "good news" of Jehovah's kingdom???

Sounds more like the OT law system than like biblical Christianity.

By contrast, when early Jewish Christians wanted to lay a law trip on Gentile converts, Peter said, "Now then, why do you try to test God by putting on the necks of the disciples a
    yoke that neither we nor our fathers have been able to bear? No! We believe it is through the grace of our Lord Jesus that we are saved, just as they are." (Acts 15:10-11)

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

They talk about how happy they are, but then begin to list all the horrible things going on in the congregation..people getting sick, dying, losing jobs and homes and how the world is at the end and thankfully so

It's really sad seeing them unable to enjoy the wonderful things in life right now! They have to convince themselves it ALL bad and horrible in order to push what they believe.

It's a sad way to live.

• mamalove
    mamalove

They are brainwashed, they can't help it. Its like that is what they HAVE to say. Nothing better to make conversation about. She thought she could encourage you.....

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

It is the JW delusion that there is no happiness outside the organization. I used to tell people that all the time...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit