Any suggestions on where to travel?

by diana netherton 8 Replies latest jw friends

• diana netherton
    diana netherton

Hello, everyone. I was thinking of taking about three weeks to a month off to travel in Asia. Although I've

been all over Europe because I lived there for 10 years, I haven't been to Asia. I want to go alone and

stay in moderately priced accomodations and kind of do my own thing as far as sightseeing. Any suggestions

on where to go and what to do as this doesn't seem quite as easy as Eurorail. I don't want any

religious type communes where I have to scrub the floors either like that movie with Julia Roberts. But

I would like to experience culture and learn more about the world and myself along the way. So where's

the best place to go? India? Goa? Bali? Thailand??

Thanks in advance!

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Wow.....what a great topic and one that I can pointedly answer, as I was just there back in May of this year. I visited Hong Kong, a small part of China, and Thailand. It was a fantastic trip that lasted about 9 days.

Hong Kong is a very livable city, and you'll feel comfortable there. Your money goes a long way in Asia. You can stay in a 4-5 star Hotel for something like $90.00 a night. I stayed in the Marco Polo right across from the old Hong Kong police station, on Canton Street, a walk from all of the cultural areas, Victoria Harbour, Kowloon Park, etc. I liken it to staying on 5th Avenue in NYC, as it's also the heart of the shopping district. You'll love it!! Below is a small photographic tour taken by yours truly!!

Wednesday you get in free at the Hong Kong Museum of Art.

If you go, take the Star Ferry across the Harbour and then get up to Victoria Peak, the highest point in which to view Hong Kong. You'll see a few of the world's tallest buildings from there as well. While up there, visit the Lion's Den, an incredible overlook.

I shot this Black Kite from the Lion's Den with my Nikon D5000, with Sigma 18-200mm lens.

Thailand is incredible. I stayed at a large resort called Rose Garden Riverside a 50 acre resort, which is about 20 miles outside of Bangkok. It was incredible....and only cost about $90.00 USD per night....a steal to us, but a mortgage payment to most middle-class in Thailand. I highly recommend this place. Breakfast is included, and there is also a Vietnamese restaurant on the grounds......

As you can see above, the grounds are meticulously maintained. I will say this though, Southeast Asia heat and humidity make Florida look like an ice box!!! Florida heat can't hold a candle to Thailand.

There is more to this resort then just walking around, like the cultural shows and even an elephant show!

Here's a Buddhist temple I stumbled upon while traveling up to Thailand's famous Floating Market........

If you are in Thailand, you must go early in the morning and experience the famous Floating Market, it's incredible!!

This was awesome. A woman was feeding a fish in the river....FISH DUMPLINGS!! It would come up one at a time and eat off the stick!!

The food is incredible here.....the freshest fruit I have ever had in my life! If I could get fruit this fresh in America, I'd easily be a vegetarian. Here is some Pad Thai with shrimp that I had at the resort.

And the markets......OMG....so much food, especially seafood, my favourite!!! The smells are incredible, and I was never afraid to eat anything as most things were cooked thoroughly in woks over hot fires....with lots of incredible seasoning. I didn't get sick at all the entire trip. Then again, I never drank tap water either!

Here's a shot from the market across from the Grand Palace, where the King lives. It was unfortunately closed the day I was there, and this was during some of the uprisings they had back in May. Things have settled down now.

Lotus blossom at the resort.........

I hope you have enjoyed my mini-tour. I took over 700 photos while on my trip. I used a Nikon D5000 with Sigma 18-200mm lens, UV & polarizing filters.

Asia is great, and I hope to return someday and explore more of it, especially China and Japan. I was only in China for (1) day. As for India, I wouldn't send my worst enemy there. It is filthy, polluted, and it smells god-awful. It is a freakin pit. Deodorant? What's that? BO everywhere.....pollution, no thanks. Taj Mahal? They can keep it......not worth the long, smelly line to get into it. Sorry to offend anyone from India, but that's my opinion, of which the poster asked.

- Wing Commander

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

Thailand, Cambodia, Laos -> Ancient ruins like Angkor Wat etc, elephant rides, beautiful scenery, great culture and friendly people!

Throw in Malaysia while your out there too!

I'm planning a long trip out there in the near future. Going to be bringing a lot of CF cards for my camera!

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More
    I hope you have enjoyed my mini-tour.

Yes, more, more! Never been to Asia and never really wanted to go there, but you are making that area of the world more interesting to me...beautiful pictures and great commentary. Thanks for sharing.

• diana netherton
    diana netherton

Wow..fantastic Photos. Thanks. I can't believe how inexpensive it is.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Wow, thanks for sharing the photos!!! and summaries!

I think Leolaia has been to some great places, hope she sees this thread.

diana,

hope you have a great trip,

Love Thai food, would want to go just for that!

purps

• aligot ripounsous
    aligot ripounsous

There was a time, say until early 70s, when you would travel hitch hiking from Europe to Nepal through Turkey, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan and India. Want to have a try now ?

• Open mind
    Open mind

This guy's blog on The Art of Non-Conformity might have some unconventional travel ideas that will be helpful.

http://chrisguillebeau.com/

Enjoy your travels!

om

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

My sister has been to Thailand, and loved it. Ignore Bangkok, get out into the country areas. Chang Mai is absolutely beautiful I believe.

Vietnam is now a booming tourist area. Very friendly people and is inexpensive.

Laos is becoming the new Vietnam. Also cheap and you'll be seeing something few others have seen.

Bali is a popular tourist destination. Get off the beaten track and you'll see the real Indonesia.

Good luck. And don't forget to send us a postcard!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit