Do JW's only have 3 UNIQUE doctrines ?

by wobble 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wobble
    wobble

I was thinking the other day that JW's hide their unique doctrines as they go door to door, because those doctrines are easily demolished, either by using the Bible or common sense or a combination of both.

The three doctrines they have that are unique are:

1) Only 144.000 go to heaven.

2) 1914 Jesus enthroned in kingdom power invisibly.

3) Blood transfusion is wrong.

I think there is possibly a fourth, that Jesus died on a stake and not a cross, but that one I will ignore as not important. That is more historical than theological.

The reason I am posting this is so that I do not miss something that would be interesting to a householder, as I am thinking of composing a leaflet that a householder could give to JW's when they call, and ask the Dub to explain these "hidden" doctrines, using only Bible verses in context.

Imagine trying to explain the latest blood fractions thing, using the Bible ! Tee Hee.

I know there are spin-offs from the above, but a tract or leaflet needs to be as simple and concise as possible.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received, as to wording etc.

Thanks.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

The JWs have nothing unique

they pinched it all from other religions.

the many split-offs and original bible students probably also still hold those 3 or at least one,

thus making them not unique as well.

i am sure an hour in google will turn up religions with the same 3 as you list...

(hope i'm right and prepared to be corrected!)

oz

• My Struggle
    My Struggle

The idea of 144,000 was taught by the early seventh day adventist founders. However, I believe that they dumped the teaching before 1900.

• wobble
    wobble

Thanks, I realise that the doctrines are not totally new thinking, Russell and Rutherford were plagiarists of the first order, but I was thinking along the lines of what JW's would have to present to show that theirs is the true religion, the doctrines they hold in common with many others are no good for that.

And demolishing these fairly unique doctrines leaves them nothing that makes their religion a better buy than any other, so I think it is a good area to alert the public to, as with any sales org. if their unique selling points are crap. they will fail.

• cheerios
    cheerios

dont forget pyramidology

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

25 mins in google: 1)...by Perryman on April 18th, 2007 on answerbag Various Bible scholars, past and present, Such as , British lexicographer Dr. Ethelbert W. Bullinger and , Robert L. Thomas, Jr agree that i the number is literal.
    I have met members of various fundamentalist Christian groups that also accept this number.

Read more: Is it true that only 144,000 people will go to heaven. If so, why and where did they obtain that idea? | Answerbaghttp://www.answerbag.com/q_view/117440#ixzz16fCMQlFc (Lets not forget to remind people that russell said the invisbible return was 1874...Not 1914...) 2)...Another Millerite, Nelson H. Barbour, came to believe that the correct date for Christ’s Second Coming was 1873, not 1844.

He started to spread this message, in particular through his 1870 pamphlet called Evidences for the Coming of the Lord in 1873: or the Midnight Cry, and his monthly The Midnight Cry from 1873. In the meantime, 1873 had become 1874, but that did not prevent another disappointment.

The loosey-goosey nature of these dates should have embarrassed further speculation. It didn't.

One of Barbour’s readers, B. W. Keith, came up with a solution.

Having obtained a new translation of the New Testament, Benjamin Wilson’s The Emphatic Diaglott, Keith noticed a marginal alternative translation of Parousia, the Greek word normally translated ‘coming,’ namely ‘presence.’

None of these men were skilled in Biblical Greek, but the idea took hold that what had started in 1874 was indeed Christ’s invisible presence. (Jonsson 1983)

Thankyou TERRY http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/162569/1/The-evolution-of-the-INVISIBLE-JESUS-doctrine-a-TIMELINE

3)...Blood Transfusions

This is one of the most contentious issues there are to do with religion and ethics. There are religions in existence which ban blood transfusions because they say they are banned in the Bible. But clearly, blood transfusions are a lifesaving procedure – and can be not only for an adult but also for a child or an unborn child.

http://www.responsiblecitizen.co.uk/ethics-and-morals-in-religion.html

i have not yet found a named religion other than JW re blood but still looking...

oz

• wobble
    wobble

Thanks again for your input folks, I doubt that anything the Dubs have is truly unique or original, but I still think these hidden doctrines that they don't talk about to the public are the ones that they will find difficult to defend, and then they will have little to sell in reality.

If these core doctrines are crap, why should anyone give credence to the rest of their spiel ?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I betcha nobody else teaches the WT was selected in 1919

• Ding
    Ding

Does any other religion or leader claim to the "the faithful and discreet slave"?

All the other Bible based religions I know if consider Jesus' words to be nothing more than a general description of a trustworthy servant who does his job even when he doesn't know whether his master will be returning.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit