Why Is There NOTHING Written In The Bible About Jesus' Early Years?

by minimus 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

This is why religion is such crap. We will make up something to rationalize why something logical doesn't exist. Would there be no example of how he spoke and acted as his Father did while a young man? Only when he was 30 did he become so outstanding in love, understanding and mercy. As one who NEVER broke the law of Moses he would have stood out, even as a young man of 20,21,22 or 23 and elicited jealousy. I'm so sick of the Bible being so revered that it is whitewashed where it is faulty. No God in dat book.

• wobble
    wobble

I suppose too we should consider the fact that the bible as we know it was kind of fixed in 380/1 C.E or thereabouts , (although arguments as to what is canonical still go on today),the motive being, in the late 300's, to include only writings that would promote the belief that Jesus was God, and to unite the Roman Empire under the one religion, the "Christianity" of the day.

The "Infancy gospels" that existed would not fit that scenario too well perhaps.

I wonder what writings were destroyed around this time too ?

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

Maybe one way it can be explained is by how the mythology likely took shape. As I understand it, early Christology seems to have been leaning more towards an adoptionist view. He only became important after the baptism/adoption so nothing to write about before that. That would fit well if we assumed that the historical Jesus' early life didn't contain anything convincingly "divine" about it.

The movement got underway, higher Christology got more mind-share and the "god-man" take became orthodox in time. In the interim you'd get people thinking about the two possible christologies and toying with questions like what a maturing "god" was like.

The Curt Answer from some surviving works: You wouldn't want to tick that kid off. And that just wasn't the Jesus that the orthodox wanted to have in their canon.

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

That would be entirely too much information for the Roman Church to let the simpletons know. After all, he was the "Son of God". Things just happened "automatically", didn't they? I mean, what would it do to Christian theology if the Bible told us that the real reason Jesus was swished off to Egypt was to study in the Mystery Schools?

~PS

• BONEZZ
    BONEZZ

...and what about Satan as a kid. Did he attend the same school with "J-man"? Maybe that's where the old grudge started. Satan had his own gang...probably was teased because of his red complextion and goat-like feet...and...

"Hey Satan, what are those little nubby things on your head?" and ..."is that a tail in your pants or are you just happy to see me?"

This poor kid probably took a real beating to his ego and then looking across the classroom at Mr. Perfect Kid...oh yeah you just know there's gonna be trouble down the way. Of course Satan as the bad boy, even though he had horrible acne, was the leader of a metal group and got all the "bad" girls...you know what...we've got the makings of a new series for the CW.

BONEZZ

• minimus
    minimus

Wasa makes a great point.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit