Things I’ve Un-Learned Since Leaving the Watchtower, Part One

by MarcusScriptus 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• MarcusScriptus
    MarcusScriptus

While it is not possible for me to claim that the following are axioms in the objective sense, they are a glimpse into demonstrating how far from reality the Governing Body keeps its adherents. Once a member of Jehovah’s Witnesses, we suddenly develop a sense of authority since we have “the truth.” We become experts in the Bible, on religion, upon anything “we study about.” We might convince ourselves that we are like the Christian apologists of old. We staunchly believe that true religion is defined by the Bible. And we often hate people who are not believers, even demonizing them. Some of these approaches or views may stick with us for years after leaving the religion of the Watchtower. A few of the most startling for me that took years to finally realize after leaving were:

1. Adopting or subscribing to a religion or a philosophical conviction neither makes me an authority on that which I’ve embraced regardless of how “true” I believe my convictions are. Generally speaking, an authority on a subject is one who is recognized in academic circles as formally studying it, and they are usually an observer, not one who holds the conviction or a member from “within.”

2. Apologetics is not the same as debate. Debate seeks to convince by literal argument, apologetics seeks to defend one’s stand as a reasonable act. Debates do not succumb to any definitive rule of satisfactory proof; they are won by those we perceive as being the best at arguing, not best at proving their point (as in the popular Lincoln-Douglas format). Apologetics does not seek to do anymore but to convince a listener that despite of what another might feel about a belief or belief system, the apologist’s subscription to it does not defy reason. Apologetics uses the scientific method upon which to present its defense.

3. Except for religions which literally make claim to it (i.e., Mormonism), the current religious systems are not based on books or religious texts. It is the other way around. Each religious community—all which already had a functioning religious paradigm by the time writing began—developed their religious texts to reflect or explain their current religious system and views.

Christianity is one of these religious systems. Since it holds that its congregation is the mystical embodiment of its Leader, its belief system is not based on how close its religious community follows the writings it produced but on how close one remains within the religious community which developed them. It is not so much the writings that define what their religious community does. On the contrary, it is the community which defines what these texts mean and how it applies as the ages pass. It is not a religion which is based on the rules of a book but upon its mystical connection to its God.

4. Atheism itself was not the force behind the mass murder of religious people under the rise of the Communist Bloc. Neither is atheism itself the force behind those criminal acts against human freedom in lands where it is forced upon all of the population. Murderous rulers and authorities use any type of “cloak of convenience” to empower them to reign in terror. If the popular cloak of the time happens to be religion, then they perform their acts in the name of God. If the cloak of today is atheism, then they perform their acts in the name of human enlightenment. But neither atheism nor religion is responsible for their criminal acts. These people are abusive opportunists, and they should never be allowed to use the name of atheism or religion to cover their true nature. Those who commit acts of genocide, who strip people of their dignity, and forbid the free exercise of one’s conscience in matters of personal conviction have lost all claims to human enlightenment, have lost their religion. Regardless of what flag they fly, they are neither atheists nor religious. They are merely criminals.

Feel free to comment on these or add to the list. What we “un-learn” is often an important stepping stone to healing and/or regaining our balance as a member of society.

• eric356
    eric356

All good. Also:

1. Evolution isn't junk science. There's actually a reason why scientists devote their careers to studying evolutionary biology!

2. Gay people aren't bad.

3. Politics does actually have consequences, good and bad.

4. People who get higher education and ambitious careers are almost never doing it for the money. They are doing what they love.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

You cannot become an expert on a subject (religion included) by means of one source. That would be a lot like trying to become an expert in decorating by working for a big company. While they want you to do a good job, if a decorator ever started approaching Martha Stewart quality and expertise, they would be a threat of competition--the employer would no longer be able to control such a worker, since they would probably be able to start their own enterprise and threaten to put the existing company out of business. And the bosses know it, so they limit what employees can learn on purpose.

This is as true with religion. You learn just enough to think you know more than the world. And that's what they want you to know. If any witless ever did become a true expert in religion, they would almost certainly become apostate and would be a risk of starting a new religion. If that religion was better than the witlesses, other witlesses would break off--a splinter group would form. And, if people like that splinter group more than the main religion, more would join the splinter--the splinter would soon become the main group and the original religion would wither up and die. The Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger knows that, so they ban using independent sources to learn about religion.

For the record, you cannot become expert with just one source. Even something like Christmas, you need multiple sources PLUS hands-on experience to become a true expert. I know I cannot become an expert on that area simply by looking at one web site, or buying things and taking tips from just one company. As with religion, I need to look at as many different companies' tips plus watch different videos on the subject, and still I am not expert until I can master every single aspect of it.

How many witlesses have mastered every single aspect of Christianity?

• Robert7
    Robert7

Knowledge and education are good.

There are rarely any absolutes. We are in a constant state of education and knowledge gathering, and it is important and healthy to always consider all facts and question what you know, in all areas of life. Worst case you confirm what you already know, best case you learn something new, and improve upon what you know.

Any time someone tells you they have the truth, or they say not to question anything (this is beyond religion, including areas like politics) then run away. They are lying, delusional, or both.

• moshe
    moshe

History records plenty of "experts" who claimed to know how to make a successful flying machine, but only the fools tested the contraptions by jumping off a cliff. Being a religious expert is safe occupation as they let the membership do all the jumping.

JWs think they can debate, but they can't. They also can't recognize false logic, loaded language and circular reasoning, either.

• BurnTheShips

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit