Their heart does not appear to be in it.

by Bungi Bill 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

All the JWs that have called at my door over the last twelve years have appeared to be just going through the motions:

- like they are merely (and only) fullfilling their obligations to record a reasonable in total in that column on the Monthly Field service report entitled "Hours."

The last lot actually seemed to be relieved that they had an excuse to disengage the enemy, and flee the field.

(For the record., I generally confront them with their record of failed prophecy, and how they can therefore expect to be taken seriously).

Have others noted this:

- or are there still Jws about who enjoy a bloody good spar?

Bill.

• dozy
    dozy

In the past there used to be quite a few JWs who knew their bible , enjoyed a debate and were capable of (trying to) defend the WTBTS. From my experience in the last few years I was a JW , nowadays it does tend to be very formulaic - present the offer for the month or the magazines & basically leave if there is the person turns the mags down or there is any dissent. Spin the hour out as much as possible & then clear off to the donut or coffee shop. Expectations are very low - nobody is really expecting to find any "interest".

I remember one sister always tried to open a discussion with a scripture & she was regarded as being very adventurous in our congregation. The WTBTS has been responsible for clamping down on any "thinking outside the box" & essentially trained a collection of literature sellers (which presumably is their intention). Look at the Kingdom Ministry & the dumbed down "What to say about the magazines" section every month. Other than a few core scriptures (Mt 24:45 , Mt 24:14) most JWs don't know their bible very well & struggle in any kind of debate.

• Heaven
    Heaven

I have lived in my 'new' place now for over 4 years. I have spoken to JWs once at my door. I work from home regularly. They just aren't knocking.

Perhaps it was the story I related to them about how miserable my Mom, a JW, was, and how, if she had had such wonderful hopes and beliefs, why she did the things she did to harm herself?

They couldn't get off my porch fast enough.

• life is to short
    life is to short

I hated to debate at the door when I was a JW, just hated it always did. My husband loves to debate can spend hours and hours at one door. It was not uncommon for his to be two hours at a home. I huge amount of the older ones still love it I think but they are dying out.

I have been cussed out ripped into and made to feel stupid once I have gotten back into the car for not saying more or the right thing, etc at the door. I have been told I have just caused the person at the door to loose his life by my not debating him.

All it did was make me hate field service. My husband used to pull the car over before I went on a RV and have me go through what I would be saying, everyone in the car would chime in with their thoughts also.

I just do not get it, when JW's get Telemarketers on the phone they are rude to them, or door to door sales people they joke in the car groups how they are rude to get them to leave or not call again.

HELLOW that is what we are doing going bugging people to join our religion. I never understood the thinking of JW's on this.

LITS

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I notice the Kingdumb Misery about what to say about the rags. Every syllable you say is what you are told to, and you basically memorize something. "Would you agree that single parents often have it harder than married parents?" What happens if the householder says something like "Of course they do--they don't have any help!" Then, they are going to be taken to a scripture telling them how to treat single parents. Trouble is, what happens if the householder doesn't give a fxxx about the issue? That rag is then going right in the garbage.

Another is "Many have asked, If there is a God, why doesn't he get rid of the Devil?". What happens if the householder answers "Because God is inherently wicked, and wants us suffering" or "Because God is a Tyrant and the Devil tried to free us from that tyranny, and by getting rid of the Devil, God would get rid of his excuse for keeping this tyranny going". I bet the witlesses would be up the creek without a paddle.

• Gregor
    Gregor

As Heaven has experienced, it seems they have developed a keen ear for any householder comments or questions that reveal a knowledge of JW beliefs. They can't retreat fast enough.

• nelly136
    nelly136

door to door work, bleh,

the conformation by peer pressure to perform at least a minimum amount of hours to be produced on a bit of paper as proof of worthiness to a commercial publishing company in the guise of 'religion'.

• Ding
    Ding

The idea nowadays seems to be to train JWs do give one or two stock answers to questions or objections at the door.

If the householder goes beyond this with further questions or objections, the JWs are to try to place a magazine ("This will answer a lot of your questions.") and move on.

If they take the magazine, there will be a return visit.

If not, they kick the dust off their feet and leave.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit