Does The Type of God You Worship Determine The Love You Show Others?

by XJW4EVR 7 Replies latest jw friends

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

I am currently reading Timothy Keller's The Reason For God. The book has two sections. The first is a general apologetice work with no new insights. The second part, however, gets down to the implications of Christian doctrine in the lives of followers of Jesus. In a chapter in which he is dealing with the Trinitarian doctrine of God, he states the following on page 216:

If there is no God, then everything in and about us is the product of blind impersonal forces. The experience of love may feel significant, but evolutionary naturalists tell us that it is merely a biochemical state of the brain.

But what if there is a God? Does love fare any better? It depends on what you think God is. If God is unipersonal, then until God created other beings there was no love, since love is something that one person has for another. This means that a unipersonal God was power, sovereignty, and greatness form all eternity, but not love. Love then is not the essence of God, nor is it the heart of the universe. Power is primary.

When I read this today on my lunch break, I was stunned as Keller seemed to me to have unwittingly described exactly what is wrong with the JWs. The pursuit for any JW is not the pursuit of love, but the pursuit of power. The power of holding "priviledges", becoming a MS, becoming an Elder, and moving into the more powerful positions within the Elder Body, e.g., Watchtower Study Conductor, Presiding Overseer, Service Overseer, et al. For JW women it is marrying a man that is moving up in the Org, as having a husband with those ambitions will give the wife power.

Ultimately, I think that the JW view of Jehovah (that he is not a trinity) fits Keller's description, and because Jehovah is all about power, then it only follows that those who worship Jehovah are motivated by power. Keller also describes power in rather unflattering terms (page 59):

The tendancy of religious people, however, is to use spiritual and ethical observance as a lever to gain power over others and over God, appeasing him through ritual and good works. This leads to both an emphasis on external religious forms as well as greed, materialism, and oppression in social arrangemements. Those who believe they have pleased God by the quality of their devotion and moral goodness naturally feel that they and their group deserve deference and power over others.

How does a person gain power within the JWs? By simply doing the things that are required: Performing the right amount of hours in door-to-door work, answer with the appropriate comment, be seen with the right people, etc. Once a male meets the requirements, then that male will be moved into a position of power, and that male can then get the "deference and power" he feels he deserves from the rank-and-file.

My question is, do you think that Keller accurately describes how things are in the Org? Do you agree with my application of Keller's thoughts on God and how it applies to the JWs? Does the type of God they worship reflect the lack of love they show to others, especially to those that are not JWs?

• tec
    tec

Are you thinking that all those who do not believe in the trinity are motivated by power and not love? I have to disagree, mainly because I do not believe in the trinity either, but I do follow and love Christ. So that's what I think the problem is with JW's. Cutting Christ out. Not enough of Him and the love and mercy He taught... and instead too much rules and legality.

Tammy

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

Hi Tammy,

No, after reading this, my thoughts went right to the JWs, and my experience with them. That is why I specifically asked if readers agreed with my application of these quotes to the JWs. When they (JWs) speak of Jehovah, they do not speak of him in terms of his love, but his sovereignty and power. He is very much an aloof figure that sits up in heaven, waiting for us to sin in order to pound us into a grease spots. There is no grace (what JWs call loving kindness), there is no mercy, only justice and power.

I believe that the power issue within the JWs rises from their Arian beliefs regarding the nature of God. While Oneness Pentecostals are an exception, I have found Modalistic groups are far more balanced because God did not exist in a vacuum prior to the creation of the Son (Arianism).

• designs
    designs

Well for a group that is undereducated, and has massive persecution complexes the idea of a God letting them rule the world is pretty heady.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

If one reads the bible with a presupposed love in their heart, as opposed to hate or perhaps looking for soemthing to prove the bible is "wrong", one see a very different God than those others.

We all have biasis and are all predispossed to view things in certain ways, as the saying goes, "if you go out looking for something, you'll end up finding it".

Add to that how one decides to interpret certain teachings about God (and yes, it is up to US to decide how we interpret things or accept interpretation of them). For example: Someone that interprets Jesus's command to love each other as being applicabel to ONLY other christians or ONLy other peopel fo their denomination, like the JW's do, will feel less likely to "love" those outside of their "group".

Whereas a person that views that verse as saying to love each other as meaning to love everyone ( taking into account Jesus command to love even our enemies) would quite naturaly love all people the same.

• Satanus
    Satanus

I agree w the overall principle, that they imitate the god they worship. The jw god is exacting, vengeful, judgemental. He has his timetable in which to kill all nonjws. Love is isn't there. His worshippers get 'undeserved kindness', whatever that is. While jws also do not advocate killing, they are exacting and judgemental. They are nice to fellow believers.

S

• designs
    designs

The JW god is nothing in the way of cruelty in action in comparison to the Evangelical god of Presidents like Bush- watch the documentary The Shock Doctrine.

• The Finger
    The Finger

I think we don't understand fully God's love. Therefore we fall short in our love for each other.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit