Jehovah's Witnesses and morality

by Pahpa 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Pahpa
    Pahpa

I am always puzzled by the contradictory morality of Jehovah's Witnesses. If

a person is formally disfellowshipped or disassociated in a congregation, that

person is usually castigated and shunned by all other members. However, if

a member commits a seriously moral breach but moves or "fades out" family

members and friends feel perfectly safe to associate in spite of the cimcumstances.

It's as if "getting caught" is worse than commiting the sin. I know of some families

that are almost relieved that a member of their family escaped before the elders

took action. No attempt is made by them to report the impropriety to the

body of elders in the area where that person lives. I personally don't approve

of the disfellowshipping procedure as practiced in the Watchtower Society or the

cruel shunning practices of Jehovah's Witnesses. But it does make one wonder how

sincere they are in the moral principles they claim to follow?

Pahpa

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

That's what happens when people worship and fear an organization instead of God.

• sabastious
    sabastious

For what it's worth, the ones associating with the "fading ones" are going against policy, it's just not actionable.

They usually have to hide the fact that they hang out with the faders. Otherwise they will be marked.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious

side note, NeonMadman I enjoyed your response on my thread about Jesus and Organized Religion, and I mean to reply to it.

-Sab

• Terry
    Terry

It comes down to a question of Due Process JW-style.

Until you are convicted of a crime you are innocent until proved guilty.

So, being shunned is a technicality reserved for formal evaluation and judgement.

A fader has no guilt status of a formal nature.

• Pahpa
    Pahpa

Jehovah's Witnesses claim they live by a higher standard than the worldly system. Yet, many of the

"faders" fade so they won't be under the strict Watchtower code. Some of them live contrary

to the conduct recommended by the Watchtower. I've known of elders who continue to see their

children and family members in spite of the infractions that would have meant disfellowshipping. If

they believed in "due process" even "JW style" one would expect consistency.

The inconsistency is seen in a greater degree when some members are suspected of a sin.

The rumor "factory" at Kingdom Halls pass judgement even before a hearing. A person is

often treated as a pariah before a judgement is ruled by the Judicial Committee.

The double standard is seen even at the highest levels. Such was the case that involved

Greenlees and Chitty. NeonMadman is correct. The organization is the idol worshipped

by Jehovah's Witnesses. And hypocrisy is its byproduct.

Pahpa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit