Religions Are - Awesome Quote

by yodastar 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• yodastar
    yodastar

My wife grew up without a religious upbringing. She was passed down a German bible given to her Grandfather in 1935 which had a hand written inscription by two Jewish colleagues of her Grandfather at the time. Inside was a quote either written by her relatives or anonymous, not sure which but I really had to share it as it really sums it up for me - enjoy!

Religions Are ..

The fossilized philosophies and petrified politics of past ages. Managed and modified by myths and legends to mystify and mollify the masses when they question the meaning of life.

Organised and disciplined faiths that cannot accept the investigations of an enquiring mind has no value.

All religious principles are based on the innate human moral standard that should guide our lives, these principles are for the observation of the naïve and oblivious and the guidance of the thoughtful.

Use that which meets your need, discard all that is a hindrance.

Life loves those who love life to the full.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

"All religious principles are based on the innate moral standard that should guide our lives."

I like this. Morals are innate. So very true and so very liberating.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Religions Are ..

The fossilized philosophies and petrified politics of past ages. Managed and modified by myths and legends to mystify and mollify the masses when they question the meaning of life.

Awesome quote!

Morals are innate.

Religion and God are unnecessary. Many are living their lives just fine without them.

Edited to add: 'disgard all that is a hindrance'. To me, Religion and God definitely fall under 'hindrance'.

• yodastar
    yodastar
    Absolutely Heaven. The more I have read this quote - turns out written by my wife's Dad (smart guy) the more I can take solace in understanding life without the domination of the org. It just so makes sense now and life certainly loves us if we make the most of it. Cheers
  • talesin
    talesin

It sounds like someone was in tune with the transcendentalist school of thought, and especially Whitman.

• steve2
    steve2

The impressive phrase "fossilized philosophies" sounds like a very modern phrase.

So I googled it and this is what I found among many uses of this phrase:

"Religions are fossilized philosophies with the questions left out. It is better for the mind to choose the path of skepticism and inquiry over dogma and faith. - See more at: http://www.askatheists.com/77851#sthash.rneI0xwp.dpuf"

Who first used this phrase? I have a hunch it is fairly recent - perhaps well after 1935.

• yodastar
    yodastar
    Yep totally Steve, it's recent !. Wife's Dad said it in 2005. He just wrote it into the wife's Grandfathers German Bible for us because it was fantastic. I'm sure he has merged lots of ideas of a lifetime. Cheers
  • Phizzy
    Phizzy

Truth is Truth no matter who says it or when.

Good quote.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit