Told a JW friend about UN story...

by BritBoy 8 Replies latest jw friends

• BritBoy
    BritBoy

I phoned a friend of mine this evening. We keep in touch at least once a week and her and her sister (Both JW's) have been to visit us for the weekend several times now. I took the chance and brought up the UN thing with her... her immediate reaction? "It's not true", I told her it was and that she was welcome to check out the UN web site or the Gaurdian Newspaper and she immediately said: "Brit, A. IT IS NOT POSSIBLE. B. It's a lie and C. This is obviously the work of apostates. I explained that it was possible and that it was not a lie. She then went on to say that there has been some sort of mistake and she would ask her P.O about it. I asked her why she did not check the info herself and she said no she would get the TRUTH from her P.O!!

What I find so interesting is the complete CLOSURE to anything outside what she is comfortable with. She will stay with her Gay Ex JW friend (as I have not been DF'd or DA'd) and his boyfriend but will not think outside the JW box... she used to. She left for about 4 years, but never built up the courage to read anything "apostate". Now she is back in full swing and completely mind fucked!!! WOW. If someone tells me something I am not sure about, albeit in work or personal life, I check it out for myself...

Brit.........

They wouldn't have made the cane if you weren't meant to break the rules!

• alliwannadoislive
    alliwannadoislive

hard to take though isn't it brit ? i can identify with the frustration of wanting so much to get people to listen - i've learned a new coping strategy - that of shrugging my shoulders and accepting that there's some things i just can't change ... sigh ...

• rekless
    rekless

what you have just posted is the reason I stay nausiated when I find things out and would like to tell my JW daughter and son--in --law, but knowing they are just brain dead and I am getting to the point that I have a hard time coming to this board any more ... It is as if you have the key to life and want to give it away, yet you can't get any interest in the gift.OOOh how discouraging.

• termite 35
    termite 35

Hi all, i must have discussed this with over 20 people by now;the strange thing is, after the initial shock comes disbelief,then denial, then 'mistake', then where did you get your info from,next there must be a good reason and the last one i have had from nearly all now is...THEOCRATIC WARFARE!!!That's all right then.To stop this REALLY upsetting/annoying YOU
    1.FIND A FLAT,HARD SURFACE
    2.PROCEED TO FORCEBLY SLAM HEAD TOWARDS SURFACE UNTIL CONTACT IS MADE
    3.REPEAT AS MUCH AS IS NECESSARY OR UNTIL YOU BECOME UNCONCIOUS

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

It amazing to hear the outrageous answers and comments JW's give when they can't logically defend their ground.

Devon

• moman
    moman

MINDFUCKED....yup, that what it is!

• JT
    JT

PERHAPS this article can share some light on the issue of why after showing someone documented proof on a matter they still will find am excuse not to accept it

just thought you would find this point interesting

Bad beliefs DIE HARD
    http://www.csicop.org/si/2000-11/beliefs.html

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

Its exasperating isn't it to have to deal with the truly mind deadened. I mean they want so much for you to be open minded, to think things through, but when the idea of being opened minded is presented to them. They immediately throw up barriers. Wont listen thier minds are so closed you couldn't drive an idea into them with a sledge hammer. I have the same problem when trying to discuss things with my wife. As long as she is speaking (preaching) i just smile however when faced with a counter argument/idea she immediately goes brain dead wont listen gets defensive and mad. I guess its like trying to teach you wife how to drive, frustrating maddening, and just not somehting that one wants to do unless one likes raging argument. The dubs claim to have the truth but they wouldn't recognize the truth if it bit them in the ass. buff

• Quotes
    Quotes

Termite hit the nail on the head!

It is almost like there are "Seven Stages of Dealing With Damning Evidence" (similar to the "Seven Stages of Greif").

Stage 1: Disbelief. "That is *IMMPOSSIBLE!!!! It is obviously an apostate lie. There is *NO WAY* that could be true."

Recalling this stage is significant later on; this reaction implies that if the facts are true then they are significant. You will want to remind the person of this once they get to the later stages which go something like "Well, it was no big deal anyway. It was just to get one little measly library card. Why are you making this into a big issue?"

Unfortunately, it does *NOT* appear that the Final Stage is "Gosh, you are right, the WTB&TS are hypocritical bastards". Rather, most of the time, the seventh stage is more like "Oh well, I must be patient and wait on the bOrg for clarification."

===========================
    For interesting Watchtower Society literature quotes, complete with references but without any editorial, check out:
    http://Quotes.JehovahsWitnesses.com

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit