Why don't JWs celebrate Thanksgiving

by levicolemagic 38 Replies latest jw friends

• levicolemagic
    levicolemagic

Hello all,

My first post here. I wrote this little article about why JWs don't celebrate Thanksgiving.

Check it out here: http://hubpages.com/hub/What-Jehovahs-Witnesses-Believe

Let me know what you think of it.

God Bless

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

I had a JW tell me that giving thanks to God for blessing us with abundance was a pagan practice.

• zeroday*
    zeroday*

OH believe me when I say they DO celebrate Thanksgiving...One thursday in the 4th week of November I'm invited to dinner at a pioneer sisters house with her family and some of the friends from the hall. Well I'm thinking I do have the rest of the week off from work why not...Now I had spurned my worldly families requests to attend thanksgiving dinner for years telling them how it would displease Jehovah to celebrate worldly holidays...

I arrive at the pioneers house for dinner **did I mention it was on the 4th thursday in November** I walk into the house and what I see but a full on decked out THANKSGIVING dinner, turkey, mashed potatoes cranberry sauce the whole 9 yards...I was stunned and shocked but I did not leave and felt such the fool when I left...

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

There is only one example in the Bible of Jehovah providing miraculous food, and it was MANNA, not turkeys and green bean casserole.

Also, in every instance in which turkeys are eaten for Thanksgiving, they have been beheaded.

The Scriptural Evidenceā„¢ is overwhelming!

• levicolemagic
    levicolemagic

Passage Psalm 136:2:
    2 Give thanks to the (A) God of gods,
    For His lovingkindness is everlasting.

Jesus gave thanks before feeding a large number of people. He gave thanks before break the bread and serving the wine during the last supper. In numerous other places in the bible it says god deserves thanks, regardless of the blessing you are thanking him for.

Im sure pegan groups did praise their gods for surplus, but by no means does it come strictly from them.

• levicolemagic
    levicolemagic

Nathan Natas

"There is only one example in the Bible of Jehovah providing miraculous food, and it was MANNA, not turkeys and green bean casserole.

Also, in every instance in which turkeys are eaten for Thanksgiving, they have been beheaded.

The Scriptural Evidenceā„¢ is overwhelming!"

Love it, my article could have been so short.

• levicolemagic
    levicolemagic

Truth be told when I was a witness for 17 years. My family would always have a "turkey dinner" the after Thanksgiving.

• The Finger
    The Finger

Most did in the congregations I attended, many missing the meetings and alot were elders.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

Jehovites always have a reason to eat turkey

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Put it this way.

I don't know of any Witnesses in the UK that would have a turkey dinner get together on any day in November. Why not? Is it because no one else here celebrates something called Thanksgiving?

So why would any Witness in the USA have a turkey dinner get together any time around the 4th Thursday in November? Is it because everyone else there celebrates something called Thanksgiving?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit