Thou Shall Not Facebook

by Think About It 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Think About It
    Think About It

Looks like other churches are trying to control their members use of Facebook. Comments?

NEPTUNE, N.J. — A New Jersey pastor is telling his married church leaders to delete Facebook or resign.

The Rev. Cedric Miller says much of his recent marital counseling has included infidelity stemming from the social-network website.

The leader of Living Word Christian Fellowship Church in Neptune says Facebook is reigniting old passions. His plan was first reported by the Asbury Park Press.

Miller already had asked married couples among his 1,100 congregants to share their Facebook passwords with each other. He says the reaction to that request was mixed.

He says on Sunday that he will also "strongly suggest" that all married parishioners give up Facebook altogether.

Think About It

• asilentone
    asilentone

interesting read!

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

I am shocked at how some religions hate facebook. These social networking sites have more followers than their religion and that scares them.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

I hate as an adult being told what to do ....It is absurd .

• Soldier77
    Soldier77
    Miller already had asked married couples among his 1,100 congregants to share their Facebook passwords with each other. He says the reaction to that request was mixed.

Anyone that listens to this asshat and does this is an idiot and asking for trouble.

• ziddina
    ziddina

I wonder whether the "Living Word Christian Fellowship Church" is a fundamentalist church, or moderate/middle-of-the-road...???

Wouldn't surprise me that fundamentalist churches would be against Facebook. They tend to condemn ANY new technology - as StraightShooter pointed out, new technology - video games, social networking sites, DVD movies, 3D movies, iPods, Twitter/tweets/texting and other advancements - tend to distract the "faithful" from being a bit, ah, 'easily led'...

Tends to negate the ability of fundamentalist church leaders to maintain control over the flocks...

Zid

• undercover
    undercover

I kinda like when these fundie nutjobs go off on something like Facebook or the Internet or movies or TV. They get a little press, they look stupid and even JWs take notice. They'll even comment on how unreasonable or out of touch this guy is.

And then -- the JWs go to a SAD or convention and hear the Bethelite elder or District Overseer go off on Facebook or the Internet or movies or TV and maybe, just maybe, it'll shake some of em up a bit. Make them wonder just how different is the JW way of thinking from the nutjob fundie way of thinking...

Here's to you, nutjob fundie preacher man...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit