How Many Humanists in your country?

by lifelong humanist 4 Replies latest jw friends

• lifelong humanist
    lifelong humanist

Many on this forum already know that I'm a member of the Humanist Society Scotland.

At our annual conference last month, I was happy to collect a bumper sticker that had been produced for a special capaign earlier this year to raise awareness of Humanism issues within Scotland. Our population is very small - just over 5 million people, so the simple message was bound to create quite a stir:

TWO MILLION SCOTS ARE GOOD WITHOUT GOD

How many people, or what percentage of people in your country do you think have quite openly gone on record as stating that they don't believe in any god? I'd be very interested to hear from any posters on this.

I haven't had the guts to stick the sticker on my car yet, as I don't think my still-in JW wife would want to be seen either in it as a passenger or driving it with such a message proudly being displayed. I can just imagine the outrage from other cult members in the KH car park!

lifelong humanist

• alanv
    alanv

I am from England and I and my parents are humanists.

My father died in 2005 and we had a humanist funeral. It was excellent. Unlike witness funerals there was no aim to convert everybody or to tell everyone this is what God wants us to do.

The funeral was focused on my father, what he did with his life, how he helped others etc.

It was the most respectful funeral I have ever been to. There was serious moments and funny moments recalled. Also you can choose to play maybe some special piece of music that was enjoyed by the deseased.

I also believe that any humanist will get on well in life, being particularly practical people and not thinking that they will have a better time in the afterlife.

• wobble
    wobble

On another thread I said that I now label myself a "Born-Again Evangelical Humanist" as I spread the good news about humanism.

I think in the U.K generally, a huge percentage of the population are "Good without God ".

What a great bumper sticker that is ! most people when you say "How are you?" reply "I'm good thanks" so that will be in their mind when they see it, and also many have been falsely taught that you cannot be truly good without God, so it makes that point too, of course you can.

Go on L/H, slap it on your motor, deny all knowledge if it offends the Dubs, "Tut tut, what naughty wee scamp put that on my car ?"

• lifelong humanist
    lifelong humanist

alanv

Interested in reading about your family's humanist links - thanks for responding. My mum (93 years old) had a humanist funeral earlier this year - she didn't believe in god any longer and asked me if she could have a non-religious funeral, which I was happy to arrange via The Humanist Society Scotland's website of celebrants. Almost all of my family commented favourably on how sensitive and personal the celebration of my mum's life turned out. Quite a few of my cousins commented that they'd prefer a non-religious send-off when their turn comes. My mum's younger brother (93, also) has his funeral this Friday - his family have arranged for a high-profile Church of Scotland service of remembrance. I'll be going along with my still-in JW wife.

wobble

Thanks for your comments - my new car is a new Mazda MX-5. I'm still considering sticking it on the rear windscrren, regardless of how my wife will feel. She doesn't approve of my choice of motor! Maybe once she drives it she'll see just how dynamic this car is, though. She's finally agreed that she doesn't want to relocate to Turkey or Italy - so that's why I decided to buy a rather impractical, but huge fun car to cheer myself up!

lifelong humanist

• Star tiger
    Star tiger

Hi,

I'm due to go to my sisters mother in laws funeral tommorow, and I believe it will be truely wonderful a celebration of that ladies life I know so did not like me that much as she thought I was into the Witnesses school of thought, I think she woud have liked me more now that I am a free thinker!

As she was an Atheist, I can only celebrate what she was, as I am a Deist I do wish that if there is some sentience in the universe that her good deeds will take her to some nice place!!

Regards,

Star Tiger

May her survivors have comfort, and remember her with loving memories.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit