Question - Following in Jesus' footsteps

by Nobleheart 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nobleheart
    Nobleheart

Hi everyone.

I've been reading many many stories in this site and others for the past few days. Some stories I've encountered were xBethelite memories. What I read and I concur with what I've seen at Bethel here (Europe) is that "Bethel heavies" or the old guard would have better accommodation, whereas newbies have much more modest rooms. So I don't see how they are able to justify that with Matthew 8:20 (the Son of Man has no place to put his head). Jesus shared everything with his disciples and friends. There was no distinction. I'd appreciate your comments on this issue.

• tec
    tec

I don't think Jesus would have cared about the accommodations. If someone wanted the big room, then let them have it. It is not the material things that matter. The 'reward' for following Him is not a bigger room or better food or better clothes, etc. The 'reward' is being with Him, and of having life within ones' self - and letting THAT light shine (in love, and peace, and mercy, and faith).

Tammy

• Chalam
    Chalam

Welcome Nobleheart! Love the name :)

Indeed, try these verses too.

Luke 20:46-47 (New International Version)

46 “Beware of the teachers of the law. They like to walk around in flowing robes and love to be greeted with respect in the marketplaces and have the most important seats in the synagogues and the places of honor at banquets. 47 They devour widows’ houses and for a show make lengthy prayers. These men will be punished most severely.”

Luke 14:7-11 (New International Version)

7 When he noticed how the guests picked the places of honor at the table, he told them this parable: 8 “When someone invites you to a wedding feast, do not take the place of honor, for a person more distinguished than you may have been invited. 9 If so, the host who invited both of you will come and say to you, ‘Give this person your seat.’ Then, humiliated, you will have to take the least important place. 10 But when you are invited, take the lowest place, so that when your host comes, he will say to you, ‘Friend, move up to a better place.’ Then you will be honored in the presence of all the other guests. 11 For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”

Love in Christ,

Stephen

• Nobleheart
    Nobleheart

Thanks Tammy and Stephen. It's so nice to have people provide you with answers to questions you can't ask at the KH. I shared a similar view too, Jesus wouldn't have cared about having the best place, or best anything for that matter. His love and humility really made him great.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Indeed :)

Philippians 2:1-8 (New International Version)

Imitating Christ’s Humility

1 Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, 2 then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. 3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, 4 not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.

5 In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:

6 Who, being in very nature God,
    did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;
    7 rather, he made himself nothing
    by taking the very nature of a servant,
    being made in human likeness.
    8 And being found in appearance as a man,
    he humbled himself
    by becoming obedient to death—
    even death on a cross!

Good to have you here.

Love in Christ,

Stephen

Share this

Google+