GB member in Bucharest?

by DagothUr 3 Replies latest jw friends

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

One of the GB members visited Bucharest and gave a speech in front of many thousands of JW from all across Romania somewhere in 2008, I think. Does anyone know what was his name?

• fokyc
    fokyc

Nothing for 2008! 20 years earlier there was a bit of a flurry of activity though!

yb06p.145Romania

Beginning in the mid-1970’s, Gerrit Lösch, Branch Committee member at the Austria branch but now a member of the Governing Body, visited Romania on a number of occasions. In 1988, Governing Body representatives Theodore Jaracz and Milton Henschel went there twice, taking along Brother Lösch and interpreter Jon Brenca, then a member of the United States Bethel family. After these encouraging visits, thousands of brothers who had kept themselves separate from the main body of Jehovah’s people confidently rejoined the fold.

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

You are right. I heard about Losch's activity, which led to absorbing some minor apostate movements back into mainstream JW here in Romania. He was also on a witch-hunt which led to DF of some of the communist-era leaders of the Borg in Romania. I think they argued about bringing the Italians to fill in the ranks of the overseers in Romania and the Romanian overseers saw their positions threatened. I know about these problems from a "Jehovah Witness True Faith" forum which does not exist anymore.

Perhaps I was wrong and it was not 2008. What about 2007? I was there, on the stadium of "National F.C. Bucharest". I remember the attendance was 11.000-12.000 people. I remember it rained a little and I was very cold and I put the songbook under my ass. During the bus trip, all the congregation was overjoyed and expected to hear thrilling news straight from the mouth of a GB member! YAY!

I remember 2 of the things he said:

1. We should not worry if our language skills or our emotions do not allow us to say an adequate prayer. Jehovah knows our hearts and he knows what is good for us. And the Holy Spirit intercedes and repairs our prayer perhaps with verses from the Psalms, or other adequate words.

2. Brothers and sisters should hurry and do more in field service since time is extremely short and the preaching work will cease very soon. He said that with a very serious tone and in a solemn manner.

Was he trying to imply some real change is coming in the method of preaching or was he just emphasizing the same bullshit about "end is near, do more FS?". Was he talking about door to door witnessing or about all forms of witnessing? I think he was just giving us the same bullshit, but I would like to hear someone who knows about this event. Does anyone know who was that GB member? I'm so desperate I would call one of the elders in my ex-congo!!!

• Caminante
    Caminante

DagothUr, it was David Splane ... and his talk was "Should you wear Saul's armor?". I have the video of the talk. 18467 were present. See km-M Ro 7/07, box on page 2.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit