Memorial - Most depressing holiday ever?

by nevaagain 9 Replies latest jw friends

• nevaagain
    nevaagain

We - as in we JWs - say that the memorial is our only holiday.

Back in my young days when I was still living at home, my mom would buy us (or as we got older and made our own money, make us buy) new suits for the memorial. My mom would put on her best dress which she probably only bought for the memorial. She would say, it is our only holiday so we should dress special for it. I would always (even as a youngling) question that behavior but my mom would say, worldly people have Christmas; we have the memorial of Jesus Christ’s death.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown
    So true, the sister that studied with me made such a big deal out of buying her dresses for the memorial and the Sunday of the convention. Sad, just sad, it gave all the bro's something to ogle though, on her multiple trips to the bathroom.
  • nevaagain
    nevaagain

For a reason my lest text got cut, so here it is again (this time without paragraphs as there seems to be a bug)

We - as in we JWs - say that the memorial is our only holiday.
    Back in my young days when I was still living at home, my mom would buy us (or as we got older and made our own money, make us buy) new suits for the memorial. My mom would put on her best dress which she probably only bought for the memorial. She would say, it is our only holiday so we should dress special for it. I would always (even as a youngling) question that behavior but my mom would say, worldly people have Christmas; we have the memorial of Jesus Christ’s death.
    When I was still young (about 5 or so) I was always curious about the memorial. I wanted to see what is going to happen, since it was such a big holiday for us and they would always make such a big fuss about it. Sometimes we even had to find a different hall, because our hall was occupied by other congregations. Once I remember, we held our memorial in a hall fully decorated with Easter motives.
    But really nothing exciting happens, every year it is the same boring procedure. There is a song at the beginning and a song at the end, just like at meetings. There is a talk in the middle, just like at meetings. Unless you are anointed, you cannot touch the bread and the wine.
    I see many interested ones or unfaithful spouses in the audience, many faders, many who got disfellowshipped, many who have studied for 20 years but still unbaptized. I still don’t get why a single one of those groups would attend a memorial or why I should go out of my away and invite non Witnesses to this "holiday" or special day. Because really, it is nothing special.
    I get why it is important for us JWs, but I am not sure if we are doing it right. For me it is a very depressing day and I am happy that it is over, at least for yet another year.
    So what’s so special about the "special talk" again?

• Agape.Love
    Agape.Love

All Christians are to partake of Jesus body and blood. Its funny the JWs don't partake because they feel they will live forever in a paradise earth. And that partaking is only for heaven bound. But Jesus clearly says unless you partake, you have no life in you. And will not be resurrected.

John 6:53-54 (NIV)

53 Jesus said to them, “Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day

Previous to verse 53; it was the unbelieving Jews who did not understand what Jesus meant about his body and blood and Jesus rebuked them.

All Christians partake because it is how we symbolize that we accept Christ's sacrifice for us, and we are obeying him to do this "in remembrance of me". And Jesus promised to be "in spirit" with his believers until he returns.

Due to the WT False Prophet misleading the JW's, The JWs are unknowingly rejecting Jesus Christ each year at their memorial. And they will not receive the everlasting life they are so busily slaving for.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie
    Nothing special? What should it be like, then? Healings, shouting, talking in tongues, extatic people? I think contemplating on the importance of Jesus' ministry and sacrificial importance is special enough.
  • BU2B
    BU2B

Its nothing special, the same as every other meeting, the outline consiting mainly of warning why you should NOT partake EVERY YEAR! Why then do people view it as special? Because it is hyped up in the KM as memorial SEASON, there is a lower aux pioneer hour requirement, there is a campaign, etc. It is special because they SAY it is!

Even more perplexing is why the "special talk" is considered any different than any other public talk! The only difference I can see is that the same outline is being used in every KH around the world that week! Thats it!

• BU2B
    BU2B
    The ironic part of all this is that they try to model themselves after the ancient israelites. The ancient israelites had many festivals through the year such as the Festival of Booths etc. These are compared to modern day assemblies and conventions, yet conventions today could hardly be compared to festivals with their sack lunches and boring droning symposiums. They were times of rejoicing, eating, relaxation, lively music and worship. Why do not JWs today follow that example and actually schedule something fun and engaging?? Maybe it would help them retain some youth, if they had ANYTHING to look forward to. Instead its you CANTs! You cant celebrate birthdays, holidays, play school sports, have hobbies, have non JW friends, have a boy/girlfriend, go to parties, vote in class elections, eat that cupcake, have gifts on a certain day, have a life saving medical treatment etc. What is that replaced with? Nothing. Do the math
  • WTWizard
    WTWizard

I do the inverse thing. The REJECT Astaroth Party is one so-called holiday that I do not celebrate. There are very few holidays I do not observe because of bad origins. Martin Luther King Day is a hoax--King was a communist wannabe. Rather, I would suggest honoring Marcus Garvey, who wanted blacks to be all they could be. St Patricks Day is about driving the Kundalini serpent down, which is something you do not want. And Columbus Day is the day the cat lick church was introduced to the New World via Columbus.

Most everything else, I am fine with. Birthdays are important, especially for children. Christmas, whether you believe in Jesus or not, is nice to observe. There are so many things one can do for Christmas, and enjoying one's material prosperity is one way to do that. Another is to simply enjoy peace and quiet for the day. Easter is Astaroth's day, and I enjoy putting up spring decor in advance of that (including the eggs and rabbits). I am also fine with the patriotic holidays.

Additionally, I do not condemn others for observing holidays I feel are in bad taste. (And I mentioned the few in that category above.) You wish to observe Martin Luther King Day, go right ahead (and research Marcus Garvey while you are at it). You wish to do something on St Patrick's Day--have fun and dress in green or orange (just do not drink drive). Just do not expect me to observe the worst of them all--that REJECT Astaroth Party.

Certainly, there is more excitement to be had looking under a well lit and decorated Christmas tree than going to that crapmorial.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    It IS the most depressing holiday ever! Their only holiday is not a holiday, but a meaningless ritual. After leaving, I was really impressed with what normal churches do at Easter and leading up to it. I had no idea. It is what I was missing the whole time. If any of you are up to it next year, (and not too anti religion), try the Holy Week at a church in your area. Or even start with Ash Wednesday, about forty days before Easter. It's the complete experience. Holy Week is the week before Easter, and you can go to thursday or good friday services, depending on the church. Some churches also have Easter eve services, which I havent tried yet. But anyway, this is a walk through of Jesus' last hours. It's like the memorial should be. But THEN you actually celebrate the resurrection too! He is risen. Easter Sunday is so joyous, with horns, organ, full choir. I LOVE it.
  • nevaagain
    nevaagain

@TheOldHippie

None of the things you mentioned, but it also should not be like a meeting. Why does everything have to follow the pattern of a meeting?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit