They knocked on my door today...

by braveheart 7 Replies latest jw friends

• braveheart
    braveheart

I was on my way to work and I noticed 2 nicely dressed couples walking the neighborhood...ah haa !

I had to pull over and start a friendly conversation...maybe I could shine some light ...or grind some salt in those WT gears.

Here's how it went:

Mike: Hi folks...you'all sure look nice...what are you selling ?

JWs: We're telling people about the Bible.

Mike: Wow...that's great...you know...I have some interest in the Bible.

JWs: Well Mike...we would like to give you these brochures that give you an overview of the Bible and what we believe.

You see we are Jehovahs Witnesses.

at this point, I let him do his pitch. Then I thanked him for sharing all that with me...then I shared my faith in Christ...the gospel...death, burial, and ressurection, etc...a sinner saved by God's Grace...a free gift...and I only needed to Trust in Him and Believe for salvation.

JWs: Well Mike...I'm afraid that's not enough...You have to be in God's Organization for Salvation.

long diatribe about the God's need for an Org...F&D Slave...blah,blah,blah,etc,etc.

Mike: Wow...that's good to know Joe...so everything this Governing Body you speak of teaches from the Bible ?...and they always teach the Truth ??

JWs: Absolutely !

Mike: Wow...that's really incredible Joe...there are a few things that concern me about their teachings...

JW: That's OK Mike...we will be happy to answer all your questions.

Mike: Well Joe...could you show me the Bible verses that call Jesus...Michael the archangel ??

JW: Well uhh er...Yes I would be happy to show you that.

at this point, Joe has a concerned serious face...like..oh ooh...this guy knows too much.

Joe, with his wife dutifully following along, showed me 2 verses that mention Michael...but of course,

he could not find any verses that call Jesus...Michael.

Mike: Do you guys really believe everything these guys teach you ??

Do you know about 1975 ?

Do you know about Ray Franz...Have you heard of the book 'Crisis of Conscience' ?

Are you aware of the long history of changes in Doctrine...and failed Prophesy ?

Do you know who the 'scholars' were for the NWT ?

And what about the baloney about overlapping generation ??

Mike: Joe...you need to do some independent thinking...get online and do some research.

JW: We don't look at apostate websites...(quickly walking away grabbing his wife)

Mike: Nice talking with you folks...and good luck trusting in those Governing Body guys...

Oh well...maybe I shouldn't have said "baloney"...

I really wanted my free home bible study.

• sabastious
    sabastious

And ineffective approach, but it makes an amusing story.

-Sab

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

This is the new scarecrow! When they hear "overlapping generations" in field service they run like the wind. It's a magical word, just like "jehovah"

• sabastious
    sabastious

Mike: Joe...you need to do some independent thinking...get online and do some research.

You can't tell me you wern't trying to get them to run for the hills with those choices of words.

-Sab

• braveheart
    braveheart

Your right Sab...I had to get to work...just wanted to get in some shots.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Most of the JW's in my town know me, but if I were away from home and a JW approached me

I would not use key words only they would know like GB and independant thinking, I would let them lead me up to a point and then

go in for the kill, when I say kill, I mean by placing doubt.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Your right Sab...I had to get to work...just wanted to get in some shots.

That's pretty bold of you. Takes guts to just approach people and challenge their faith to their face.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I would not use key words only they would know like GB

I try to avoid buzz words and terms as well. They are called thought-stoppers for a reason.

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit