Witnessess attending wedding and funerals in Churches

by jam 7 Replies latest jw friends

• jam
    jam

My brother who is A elder, attend our niece wedding last week. I was speechless.

After the ceremony as we stood up to exit the church and I look around and there in the back of

the church stood my brother and his wife.. When I was A JW, out in 1987 it was dangerous

to stand in front of A church, to go inside that was A no no. He also was present with his son

who is A ex-bethelite at our mother funeral 7yrs. ago..What is the deal, is this new light?

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

It's always been a gray area. He could only get in trouble in one of the following areas:

1. One getting married was at least a baptized publisher and the other was not

2. He could not officiate the wedding in a church

3. He will not say "Amen" during any type of prayer during the service

4. It cannot become public knowledge that he attended a church service

• jam
    jam

Thanks Brotherdan, our niece or her new husband never been A JW.. That,s what surprise me.

• cult classic
    cult classic

Actually there's a fairly recent article that leaves attendance at services up to the individual. Maybe mid 2000s. I'll try to find the month/yr for you. We actually referred my inlaws to it when my MIL's father died in 06. To no avail. They stood outside in the church foyer until the service started and then waited outside, looking like idiots.

edited to add : WT 3/15 2002

• jam
    jam

Thanks cult classic, so many changes.

• sabastious
    sabastious

Oh man I only attended one church funeral while I was still a Witness. That place gave me the hee bee gee bees! It's staggering the kind of control they had over my emotions. I was scared sh*tless in that place.

-Sab

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

I think they are still pretty firm on NOT attending if a "believer" is marrying an "unbeliever". I haven't read where that is changed.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Thanks cult classic, so many changes.

That's why it's best to" keep on the watch" and keep updated

a JW don't wanna be caught with old "TRUTH". who says truth

never grows old

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit