Odd Nostalgia...?

by feenx 7 Replies latest jw friends

• feenx
    feenx

Happy Friday everyone!!

So in the course of working on a writing project I was doing some research last night on ye ol WTBS library (which no joke I have placed on my computer in a folder called "Barf") and lo and behold, after getting tremendously frustrated that despite it's self advertised awesomeness I still couldn't find what I wanted, in a moment of haste I entered in my last name into the search, and POOF all kinds of entries.

For whatever reason I had completely forgotten about my great uncle being mentioned, well at least as often as he is.

So I start reading some of the entries, and it's all talk about his missionary work. And holy sh*t, I actually got a little nostalgic for the guy. He was actually my favorite member of my family in a lot of ways, though because he was overseas constantly I rarely got to see him. But I must say I think he probably had the most balanced and realistic viewpoint out of everyone. Deep down I think he knew our family was kinda....effed. And he dealt with it in his own way.

And I can only imagine what it was like, no matter the reason, to be in dangerous countries during war times, traveling as an American.

It's very, VERY odd for me to have any kind of such feelings for anything related to the dubs, but I think it's really more for him as a person. I would be fascinated to see what his life would've been like outside the religion.

But nontheless, the guy had some balls to be the first one into Seoul in the early 1950's.......;)

• clarity
    clarity

Feenx,

The older you get the more nostalgia you will have. Wouldn't it be great if he had personally written his experiences down for you. Maybe the loss, is that connection.

clarity

• feenx
    feenx

wow....I had never looked at it that way. That is very insightful. Sincerely, thank you...that is good food for thought :)

• clarity
    clarity

My pleasure ... have a great weekend!

C

• Decided
    Decided

I have nostalgia all the time when I drive around my town. I was born here and started the KH here. I remember all the houses my mother had bible studies with the people here, my relatives lived here and I remember all the places they lived. I drive by the old home where I was born many times. Out in the country roads I remember calling on the homes there. I am 74 and most all these people are dead now. I went by the old KH that I help build the other day and it is now a Holliness church. I thought about attending to see what it looked like inside.

You just can't forget all the memories you have from your youth. Almost every street, buildings, grave yards, houses etc. brings back some memory of my life. I get depression some times thinking about my life in the past. Not much time left to enjoy what's to come.

Ken P.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

I'm with you there Ken P.

Time goes by much faster when you are a senior!

And clarity, what's with the teenie tiny print?

Some of us can only read big print...

Snoozy

• cult classic
    cult classic

I had absolutely, hands down the best grandmother and great aunts in the whole world. The older I get, the more I remember and miss them. They spent so much time with the kids in the family. Lots of great memories. Treats, hugs, laughs, bedtime stories...

I know the feeling. The odd thing about it is that I never remember them saying much about the religion. Although they were all active.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Nice thread.

My grandmother was in one of the first Sydney congregations, and we have a lot of photos from the 20s which would be considered historical from a WTS perspective. But I remember her for her love, her kind smile and her hugs more than anything.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit