Life After the Being Separate from the World

by yodastar 7 Replies latest jw friends

• yodastar
    yodastar

Realised that after leaving many years ago I don't have much of a social circle!! Has anyone else realised that we were not taught to be good in social circles except those that were approved associates?

I recently went to a birthday party of a 45 year old guy and thought wow - this is what it is like to have formed a healthy social circle. Kinda sad really.

I feel looking back that it is because we were always on the defensive, being ridiculed and always feeling like we had to justify ourselves. Being a prickly hedgehog in 'normal' life is very anti-social. Looking for hidden meanings all the time.

Hasn't really done much for my marriage either but fortunately my wife has grown up without the mindfade and I have learnt to accept friends and people for who they are instead of thinking that they might be thinking something else if you know what I mean.

Growing up with a defensive mind-set is child abuse in my thinking and that we were intrinsically correct meant that anyone with a different viewpoint was having a crack at us. I was always told 'sticks and stones' stuff and to ignore it but really an organisation with glass walls should not throw stones either. The biggest issue for me is that unconsciously I have always been looking for the hidden meaning in what people say to me instead of being able to just listen to what they are saying I'm always thinking they are having a crack at me or trying to tell me something in a subtle way instead of being straight up with me. Hence the term prickly hedgehog which my wife uses to describe me when I am reacting to imaginary insults.....I guess when you grow up in a family who are judging and a religion who are judging and go to a school where you are deemed different so also being judged, you just get so used to being judged as wrong that it becomes second nature, like breathing....you have to assess what everyone is saying to defend yourself rather than just being present and being in the conversation knowing that you are a good person and the people round you are just being and sharing and not actually having judgemental thoughts about you or looking for fault!

And I guess the best way to get attention is to do something that people disapprove of Just to get the attention!! Doesn't really work that well in the real world though so trying not be different and just fit in and be a good guy is something I'm aware of and working on in social situations - because I am good enough! Cheers

• hoser
    hoser

Great opening post. I have had similar feelings as yours. I know it is irrational to think that everybody is picking on me but that is the way I was raised too. One of my parents couldn't get enough of telling me I was useless. I was forced to attend three meetings a week where i was also told I was useless.

I am now mentally out and associate a lot with non Jws. I am finding out that they are for the most part decent non judgmental people. They don't pressure me to do things I am not comfortable with.

• zeb
    zeb
    You are quite correct. 105%
  • Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut
    I agree. Being taught to be on the lookout for wrong doing, impure motives and improper situations does promote paranoia in an individual. That coupled with only associating with people who agree with everything you do, doesn't make for a well rounded interesting person either.
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2
    I hear you!
  • FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    How about hearing that all worldly people will be destroyed and picked apart by carnivorous birds because they aren't witnesses, and going to school the next day and sitting in class and thinking about all the other children around you and imagining that happening to them :/. It screws with your head, it makes you weird and socially awkward to say the least.
  • yodastar
    yodastar
    Yep totally to all of the above! What's neat about this process in this site for me at least is getting lots of the erroneous ( jw word ) thoughts down and out. Healing on ones mind I reckon. Cheers
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Yes Faye! I agree...

As a kid I "was special" as I was chosen by Jehovah while all those "evil worldly" kids around me would die!

The sense of entitlement and arrogance that developed in a young child's mind was outstandingly wrong!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit