what is going on?

by drawcad_1 6 Replies latest jw friends

• drawcad_1
    drawcad_1

Just started attending a new congregation with my wife (very much a believer) and have noticed a lot of complacency. During the weekdays service meetings it is only pioneers and auxileries that show up. On weekends a typical service group that has 30 people assigned to it only has 6 show up. I went out with two car groups the other day, 8 people split inot 4 groups, in the four hours they handed out about 20 magazines and did not collect any ‘contributions’.

It seems like everyone is more concerned with their jobs or lack of work. A lot in the congregation are downsizing their living situations. Nobody wants to admit it is because they have lost their jobs and people who bought their houses six years ago are confused as to why they owe more on the house than it is worth. Some are buying a second house while they still have a job and good credit so that they can dump the overpriced one that they have now. We are even now collecting contributions to help with peoples rent.

All of the problems are showing up in marriages and meeting attendance. The ministry school is really suffering and two congregations have combined so that attendance looks normal. Most conversations with elders start out with ‘where are you working at?’.

What a glorious day!!!!

• wasblind
    wasblind

The best news comes from the insiders

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

Well, to be fair, I think you just answered your own question.

I'll just chime in to it though to add some. My parents have said that many people in their congrgation and surrounding congs are moving in together to consolidate rent. People are struggling to survive. Many are 3-4 months behind on their mortgage etc. This has been going on for over 2 years, as with anything that goes on this long, the more people are affected.

People are stressed, agitated, angry... Of course their going to be complacent with 'doing more' or contributing to the WWW fund. When things were good economically, people didn't mind listening to the mind numbing rhetoric at the meetings/assemblies/conventions. Now that they are on high stress because of the economic recession, people are throwing up their hands with what they are hearing from the JW propaganda machine. All they are hearing is, do more, donate more, increase your service time to cope, serve JAh, serve US....

That's what's going on.

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

My heart goes out to those that have been dealt bad advice so that in the years of plenty have wasted their time on FS rather than getting an education and now when times are hard fall into financial hardship. I have less sympathy for the elders who chose to pressure people out of an education or full time job. I have no sympathy for the GB who will rejoice at economic instability so they can claim how bad the world is and look forward to more recruits.

mmxiv

• drawcad_1
    drawcad_1

A few of the local dubs loaded all of thier retirement into the house of thier dreams and have lost all of that equity to the banks. Now they just walk around with a blank stare trying to figure out why and how they got into this mess. They honestly thought that by getting into one of those mortgages they were simplifying. Instead the mortgage was reset, they lost thier job and now they hear from the society do more. And as always every watchtower tells them that they need to put trust in Jah, give more time, end is near.

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

It is very discouraging. Many people are suffering financial hardships that will impact them for years, if not permanently. I will not be surprised if it takes four or five more years for the economy of adjust.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Drawcad...Crawdad?

Snoozy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit