In a nutshell, what is the wackiest jw thing?

by stuckinarut2 80 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Magnum
    Magnum

The way that JWs view and treat their own who honestly seek truth and start to question and/or doubt the organization and its teachings and policies. The truthseekers are viewed as being weak and/or evil. JWs can analyze everybody else and look for things against them, but they don't want any scrutiny of themselves.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

They believe he became king then and that he will always be invisible as he is spirit.

But the bible says that his return to earth will be a physical and viewable presence and the JWS are backing a date they have made on their own which Jesus himself admonished his true followers to not do, in that no one knows of the time not even himself and he admonished anyone to set a time on god's own sacred time.

So that leaves making up a time/date unscriptural and against Jesus's own direction.

Oh Oh that means you better toss out any literature made by the disobedient Watchtower Corporation evil, made by false prophets.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

Finkelstein: "But the bible says that his return to earth will be a physical and viewable presence"

"The Bible says..."

The Bible says whatever people want it to say. Especially if it is from Revelation.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Rattigan: I think that you all need to learn what JWs believe before you criticize.

We know what they believe. We use to be Witnesses.

We also know what they believed before they believed what they believe now and what they believed before that and before that.

You are evidently unfamiliar with the history of JWs and the many, many doctrinal changes this religion has had.

• cha ching
    cha ching

Ditto to Oubliette.... & "Evidently" is the "trump card" / "get out of jail free" word used by the "Society" when they can't face, don't want to face reality, don't want to admit the truth.

"Let's just use the word 'evidently'"... 'Sounds good to me,' 'You?' 'Totally!' All in favor of 'evidently'? All agreed.... Since we all agree, it's the "Holy Spirit"...

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    The strange thing to me is, 'evidently' is a word used when there is evidence. They use the word 'evidently' whenever there is absolutely NO evidence of what they are trying to prove, but it is based on pure speculation.
  • cha ching
    cha ching

PS... The GB are "not inspired", but are "led" by the Holy Spirit.

Since they are not "inspired", are not "prophets", cannot get anything right the first time, must always be updating with 'new light', why listen to them? What good are they?

"Evidently," not for much.

• blondie
    blondie

The 180 degree or 360 degree changes in doctrine.

180 example

In Russell's day, the end would come in 1914

Now the end is future and started in 1914

360 example

superior authorities secular governments 1879 to 1929

God and Jesus 1929 to 1962

secular governments from 1962 to present (so far)

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/changed-watchtower-teachings.php

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Faye: [The WT] use the word 'evidently' whenever there is absolutely NO evidence of what they are trying to prove, but it is based on pure speculation.

This is a very important point.

And yet the average JW will miss this, perhaps assuming that--because it is in the WT--there is some actual evidence, we just don't know what it is.

Most JWs trust the publishers of their literature and so they accept whatever it says uncritically.

I recently taught a unit on the subject of evidence in my high school science classes. We were discussing a broad range of scientific fields. It was very interesting to get feedback from my students on what they thought constituted acceptable evidence.

It was a great discussion. Although not drawing attention to it, I was mindful of the couple of JW students that are in my classes.

It was eye-opening to see how sharp some of these kids can be when they are actively encouraged to think and given the tools to do so.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

If a woman doesn't fight off a rapist she is guilty of fornication. Even if the rapist has a gun and she fears for her life she cannot submit.

Actually this counsel is for her welfare; for, if she should submit to the man's passionate wishes, she would not only be consenting to fornication or adultery, but be plagued by the shame.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit