How do you feel about religion as a whole?

by FatherFirst 67 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• William Penwell
    William Penwell
    A religious persons argument that he only reason we have morals is because of religion. In other words if it wasn't for that persons religion he would be out robbing, raping and murdering? Morals would have evolved regardless of religion.
  • cappytan
    cappytan
    Though I came to a different place in my beliefs than FayeDunaway did after exiting, FayeDunaway supported me with words of comfort in my time of emotional turmoil when letting go of the cult, and for that, I will be ever grateful and let him/her have their religion and never criticize him/her for it. (I'm assuming the proper pronoun is "her" but I hate to assume.)
  • FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

I'm experiencing the same thing, ff, and not going to argue with you about that. My parents don't want to see their grandchildren either.

Ive just heard a lot of testimonials from people who say they were terrible people before finding Christ. Abusive, violent alcoholic types. I know some of these people personally, and they have turned around.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

Thank you cappy! Yes I'm female.

And shoot William, I am not one of the people who say you can't have morals without religion. I disagree very strongly with that.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries
    Said nobody who had read any history at all ever!

Right back at you! Tell me more about the rise of the Roman empire in Europe and what it accomplished and how.

• cofty
    cofty
    Tell me more about the rise of the Roman empire in Europe and what it accomplished and how.

I could tell you lots about that once you tell me how it is in anyway connected to your bizarre assertion that, " 500/1000 years ago when much of the world was warring tribes religion is what brought peace"

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

How do I feel about religion as a whole?

I couldn't tell you that, as it is unprintable!

Bill

• JeffT
    JeffT

I could tell you lots about that once you tell me how it is in anyway connected to your bizarre assertion that, " 500/1000 years ago when much of the world was warring tribes religion is what brought peace"

I'm with Cofty on that one. I quick look at Wikipedia brought up this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Lists_of_wars_by_date

If religion ended war 500-1000 years ago (or even made a dent at getting started) I'm not seeing it.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

@ EndofMysteries,

"500/1000 years ago when much of the world was warring tribes religion is what brought peace."

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!

Come now, are we living on the same planet?

Over 1500 years ago - it's referred to as the Dark Ages - Europe was a barbaric feudalistic region with constant warfare amongst them. Throughout that time period we had the holy wars of Constantine; the inquisitions with its victims often times burned at the stake; the Catholic Protestant wars; the Taiping civil war in China and so forth.

In the United States you had the puritans hanging women simply because they belonged to another religion.

It was when Europe became secularized that we had advancement in civilization.

Look at the fruit of Christendom's reigned of terror:

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    How do I feel about religion? I think it served some purpose in our evolutionary history. I have spent a lot of time recently with the Inuit in Canada's far North. The Inuit are a very superstitious and religious people. For the Inuit being superstitious and religious is a matter of survival. It's crazy some of the things they believe!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit