How do you feel about religion as a whole?

by FatherFirst 67 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• FatherFirst
    FatherFirst
    It just seems to me religion in general primarily makes truly bad people worse, not genuinly good people better; and in many cases has even made good people do bad things in the name of their religion. Just curious, a personal poll if you will. What are you guys' current views on religion as a whole?
  • hoser
    hoser
    Joe Rutherford was spot on "religion is a snare and a racket"
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade

What Hoser said.

religion is for people who would rather have the wrong answer over no answer at all.

I think the product of judeo-christian religions has been detrimental. And people such as the witnesses will say that is satan trying to trick people, but when you really think about it, the product of people reading the holy bible and koran is more often than not destructive to others. Just because the witnesses or amish or others don't use it to cause wars doesn't make it good.

• Heaven
    Heaven

“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

I have come to realize that God is a figment of the human imagination and nothing more. I much prefer the pursuit of truth through a mechanism that doesn't threaten to punish me if I don't believe.

• jhine
    jhine

Can I add that lots of good things have been done and are being done by people because of their conviction that Christians should show the love of God in a practical way in the world . They take seriously the teaching that we should look after the fatherless , the widows , the poor .Many, if not most of the programmes to feed ,educate and bring medicine to those in need are run by Christians ( or people of other faith groups ie Muslims ).

The Salvation Army does great work , food banks run in this country (GB) by churches and mosques. Debt counselling centres . The social work done by churches here and in other western countries must save governments a lot of money

Please be fair and acknowledge the good work done because of religious conviction .

Jan

• DJS
    DJS

When I look back at human history I can understand why religion evolved. When I look at the current human condition I am amazed that religion continues to have such a strong hold, but a hold that is diminishing fairly quickly in many places. When I look in the future I see a time where religion will find a nice little niche for those inclined. The planet must evolve toward secularism and an evidence based society or else we will remain stuck in the year 2015 (BCE) forever.

Religion is the problem; it will never be the solution. John Lennon was a visionary.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    So far I like Heaven's response best.
  • Chris Hannover
    Chris Hannover

Religion and spirituality are red herrings.

They are tools used to disguise the inability to process emotions, think clearly, or to validate some unearned claim. Turning the person's real world weakness into imagine strengths that no one is allowed to challenge.

Rather than discussing religion with people, I usually just look for the emotional issue they are trying to hide behind their faith. I try to ignore the irrational, the mystical, and the self absorbed ranting and look at what all the drama actually accomplishes for the person.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

When I ponder religion I end up seeing two things: religion and worship.

Worship is a broad concept that is, as I see it, how a person chooses to live their life.

Religion is something else altogether. To me religion is business.

• Terry
    Terry
    A rabbit's foot is a lot less problematic and just as effective.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit