Question about France/WT/taxes due

by civicsi00 3 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• civicsi00
    civicsi00

I was reading the article here:

http://www.jw-media.org/fra/20101006.htm

And I got to this point and got stumped:

"The government of France had imposed a retroactive 60-percent tax on all religious offerings donated to Association Les Témoins de Jéhovah (also referred to as the Christian Association of Jehovah’s Witnesses of France) over a period of four years from 1993 to 1996. The government initially demanded a total payment of about 45 million euros. The amount demanded is now more than 57 million euros (more than $79,000,000 USD), which far exceeds the assets of the association."

Which "assets" and where? The assets in France? The WT can likely afford the tax, they just don't want to pony up the cash. Later in the article, it's pointed out that the WT argued that the tax imposed on them was, yeah, you guessed it: "a direct attack on their religious freedom".

I say: France should keep pushing the issue and let them go bankrupt!

• bohm
    bohm

I know just how that would go:

Dear Brothers in France,

Satan has taken 57mio euros of jehovahs hard-earned cash! But fortunately jehovah has a plan - you can give him YOUR money so he dont have to suffer to bad, and then jehovah wont kill you even though you all deserve it!

Sincerely,
    The governing body.

• antes8080
    antes8080

they dont like to pay taxes but they are double standard couse there allways saying "pay cesar what belongs too cesar" do the same thing wt take your own advice

• PYRAMIDSCHEME
    PYRAMIDSCHEME

Maybe they are anticipating a loss in France. Thats why they are selling off branches and halls, they know a big bill is coming soon.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit