I'm an ABSENTHEIST. Are you also?

by EdenOne 284 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty
    They didn't think of it as a person, an intelligence. They accepted it at face value.

This is factually incorrect.

Solar Deity...

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

The problem of atheism is that it makes a grandiose claim about any and every deity, when in fact they need a very precise definition of what constitutes a deity in order that their claim may have the slightest chance to logically succeed. If a deity escapes that narrow definition, atheists find themselves in boiling water, just as theists they love to trump. That's why "absentheism" adheres to the available evidence, while theism plays on a probability.

Eden

• cofty
    cofty
    The problem of atheism is that it makes a grandiose claim about any and every deity

No I am happy to comment on theism on a case-by-case basis. I am willing to provide evidence for why I reject any deity that anybody has to offer.

I can't disprove a vacuous notion like "god with absolutely no content".

Your example about sun worship proves my point perfectly.

You have ignored my main objection completely...

You refuse to define god, and then assert that nobody can prove that this totally vacuous concept does not exist.

You are correct. So what? You have added precisely nothing to the sum of knowledge.

Every word has to have an agreed definition or it is just a noise.

You want to use a word with no definition. This is con-trick.

As soon as somebody defines "god" then we can prove beyond all reasonable doubt that it is a fantasy.

• cofty
    cofty
    If a deity escapes that narrow definition, atheists find themselves in boiling water

I'm still waiting on ANY definition.

Atheism isn't a statement, it is a response.

A theist says some things about their god.

A skeptic considers the claims and responds that the evidence shows they are false. This is atheism.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

This is factually incorrect.
    Is it? Aten, the ancient egyptian sun-god is a good example. It is merely a solar disc, with no human traits associated with it, no anthropomorphic representation of is, but was believed that all light, heath and life emanated from it. It was worshipped as a God.
    Eden
  • EdenOne
    EdenOne
    Atheism isn't a statement, it is a response.

BS - it is a statement, to wit, that "no deities exist". Perhaps it's not your brand of atheism, but it is certainly the main claim it makes. If you're skeptical, that doesn't make you an atheist, you're perhaps closer to being an absentheist. Otherwise you too have to back up your grandiose atheist claims with overwhelming evidence.

eden

• cofty
    cofty

You have just contradicted yourself.

Aten was worshipped. Temples were built and rituals carried out. Therefore Egyptians believed that our nearest star was capable of receiving worship. He could be placated and could hear their hymns and entreaties.

Their god did not exist.

• cofty
    cofty

Eden - You are fundamentally wrong about atheism but you are too stubborn to listen or respond to any of the points I have made.

You refuse to define god, and then assert that nobody can prove that this totally vacuous concept does not exist.

You are correct. So what? You have added precisely nothing to the sum of knowledge.

Every word has to have an agreed definition or it is just a noise.

You want to use a word with no definition. This is con-trick.

As soon as somebody defines "god" then we can prove beyond all reasonable doubt that it is a fantasy.

• cofty
    cofty
    you too have to back up your grandiose atheist claims with overwhelming evidence

I haven't made any grandiose claims.

Tell me about your god and I will show you why that god does not exist. We can continue that process one by one until there are no deities left.

• galaxie
    galaxie

Wouldn't an 'absentheist ' by your reasoning ,be someone who believes that the god of creation..is absent , therefore must have at one time been ' present '.

Reminds me of the ' god is dead ' claims of a few decades ago ie god once existed . It seems to me that people who once believed in god who have come to realise through critical thinking now doubt god exists still have a fear of absolutely concluding that the theistic god is a man made concept, and come up with the type of op which you have presented. It really is circular and says nothing of substance. The fact that you resort to trying to give the example of a sun god which does not relate to being an absentheist as you see it , bears this out imo.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit