New Flock Book (Elder Manual)

by Designer Stubble 3 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Designer Stubble
  • Designer Stubble
    Designer Stubble

What the new elders book shows is that the Governing Body has chosen for a [u]hardliner Pharisee approach[/u] rather than mercy. Here is a grand example:

In Ray Franz book “In Search Of Christian Freedom” on page 405, he relates a few examples of letters written to the society by witnesses who felt it was wrong not to offer a disfellowshipped person a ride to the kingdom hall. Examples were given of persons not having a car, nor the money for public transport and having to walk miles to the kingdom halls (in the pouring rain), while others simply drove past them on their way to “Christian” meetings.

The Governing Body, which included Ray at the time approved the WT article of August 1, 1974, pages 460-473, which shows a merciful approach should be taken towards disfellowshipped ones. Here is an excerpt from that article:

[quote] *** w74 8/1 p. 462 pars. 10-11 Divine Mercy Points the Way Back for Erring Ones ***
    The parable of the prodigal son provides further insight into Jehovah’s admirable attitude of mercy and considerateness. (Luke 15:11-32) The reaction of the father in the parable upon the return of his wayward son exemplifies in a very appealing way what the heavenly Father, Jehovah, is like. In the parable, the son had left home, gone far off and squandered his time and money in a debauched life, including keeping company with harlots. He came into poverty and hunger and, jolted to his senses, he decided to return to his father. Note, now, what the parable says: “While he was yet a long way off, his father caught sight of him and was moved with pity, and he ran and fell upon his neck and tenderly kissed him.”—Luke 15:20.
    11 Thus, when catching sight of his son in the distance, the father did not say: ‘I am not going to move an inch or say one word until that sinner comes right to my feet and formally requests to be accepted back.’ No, but seeing his son heading toward him and, in effect, discerning what was in his son’s mind, the father went to meet him. It was—not before—but after this fatherly expression of pity that the son’s formal asking of forgiveness took place.[/quote]

Ray explains how happy he was to inform people that a merciful decision had been taken and offering a ride was allowed as it was the human and Christian way to act.

Now look at the new Flock book (elders manual), page 115:

[quote]5. Disfellowshipped and disassociated ones are generally expected to make their own arrangements for [b]transportation to and from congregation meetings.[/b][/quote]

[u]This statement is not made in the previous Flock book[/u], so the stand is more hardliner and Pharisee than before. This is just one example, I am sure there are many more.

Can you imagine now that you are driving to the meeting and see a disfellowshipped person walking in the pouring rain? You decided to stop and offer a ride, the human and Christian thing to do and in line with the 1974 Watchtower. You arrive at the kingdom hall and are spotted with the disfellowshipped person in your car. You will without doubt be spoken to about this by the elders. Not really the love amongst brothers that would identify true Christians.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Designer, I remember that 1974 WT article like it was yesterday.

I questioned the JW who "studied" with me about it and she assured me that this was the way it would be henceforth.

My gut instincts told me to keep away, but I foolishly went ahead with baptism anyway.

I just knew something was wrong with all of that.

Syl

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

5. Disfellowshipped and disassociated ones are generally expected to make their own arrangements for transportation to and from congregation meetings.

I suspect that they're leaving the merciful door open a bit with the modifier that I've underlined. Of course, that's just a guess.

Len

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit