blood cards for assembly entrance?

by hungry4life 8 Replies latest jw friends

• hungry4life
    hungry4life

In a recent post someone mentioned that at an assembly or convention in the U.K. they would not let him in until he showed either a blood card or convention badge. The person then named some elders he knew and was finally allowed in. Is this typical at U.K. conventions? what about U.S. and other countries, are their any other experiences out there like this? sorry I cannot find the post but I told my friend (still in the org) about that and she was apalled she asked me to find out if it is the policy or just a fluke. Thanks for your help.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

You know that since conventions are open to the public, such situations could never occur, so this must be - and cannot be anything else than - a misunderstanding. Perhaps it was referred to the Annual Meeting, where invited ones are the only ones to be there, or to the Elder Training Course, where special invitation cards must be presented.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    You know that since conventions are open to the public, such situations could never occur, so this must be - and cannot be anything else than - a misunderstanding. Perhaps it was referred to the Annual Meeting, where invited ones are the only ones to be there, or to the Elder Training Course, where special invitation cards must be presented.

OldHippie, that's not true. In Ireland, in the early 1980s, it was impossible to get in to a convvention without a badge. This was most likely due to the apostates picketing outside.

--
    "The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason, 1794.

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

In the US, assemblies have always been open to the public, therefore, I cannot see it changing.

I do remember that at some conventions, you did have to show your blood card to get a new release and they started with how many years you had been baptized. (On the blood card it states how many years you have felt that way). I think it was when they released the Proclaimers Book and was primarily done so that older ones in the "truth" could get the books first. They weren't sure if they had enough.

"If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?"

• freeman
    freeman

I can’t remember all details, but I do remember having to show my blood card at an assembly before I received a newly released book. I want to say this was at Yankee Stadium, but I’m not totally sure about that.

Freeman

• Snowflake
    Snowflake

The only time I ever remember having to show my badge at a district convention is if I wanted to go in before the doors officialy opened (to volunteer for something) or to get lunch (when they still served it) or a new release.

• Geordie
    Geordie

I once turne up to Edinburgh assembley at Murrayfield stadium sporting a pair of doc martin boots, a piar of half mast jeans, a pair of rap round shades, a bike jacket and a skin head hair cut.
    I was lieng on the grass verge outside the main stand eating a curry while i was waiting for my mother.
    All that was sead to me was this.
    Elder) "Can we help you?"
    Me) " I doubt it. dont you?"

That was it apart from some funny looks wich amused me no end.

• hungry4life
    hungry4life

Your right, here in California we did have to show blood cards in order to get the Proclaimers book. I don't remember ever needing it just to get in though. But things are different everywhere thank you for sharing your experiences.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

In Australia, the congs were told to be sure to wear their badge cards because "the undesirables" would not be wearing them!

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"It's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness."
    Anonymous

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit