Google Bringing Dead Sea Scrolls Online

by BabaYaga 8 Replies latest social current

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

I find this amazing and exciting on so many levels.

~~~

Google bringing Dead Sea Scrolls online

Images, translations of 2,000-year-old text to be uploaded

By Tia Goldenberg
    updated 10/19/2010 12:32:17 PM ET

JERUSALEM— Israel's Antiquities Authority and Google announced Tuesday that they are joining forces to bring the Dead Sea Scrolls online, allowing both scholars and the general public widespread access to the ancient manuscripts for the first time.

The project will grant free, global access to the 2,000-year-old text — considered one of the greatest archaeological finds of the lastcentury — by uploading high-resolution images that are exact copies of the originals. The first photographs are slated to be online within months.

The scrolls will be available in their original languages, Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek, and at first an English translation. Eventually other translations will be added, and Google's translation feature may also be incorporated. They will also be searchable.

Antiquities official Pnina Shor said the project will ensure the original 30,000 fragments that make up the scrolls are preserved while broadening access. The scrolls, which includes parts of the Hebrew Bible and treatises on communal living and apocalyptic war, have shed important light on Judaism and the origins of Christianity.

"Anyone in his office or on his couch will be able to click and see any scroll fragment or manuscript that they would like," she said.

Experts have long complained that only a small number of scholars were allowed access to the scrolls at any given time, which were found in caves near the Dead Sea in the late 1940s.

The delicate scrolls are kept in dark, temperature-controlled rooms at the Israel Museum in Jerusalem, where only four trained workers are permitted to handle the parchment and papyrus documents. Exposure to light risks damaging the scrolls.

Shor said scholars must coordinate viewing the scrolls with the authority, which receives about one request a month. Most are given access, but because no more than two people are allowed into the viewing room at once, scheduling conflicts arise.

Researchers are given three hours with only the limited section they have requested to view.

For the last 18 years, segments of the scrolls have been displayed in museums around the world, each time undergoing painstaking efforts to move them from each location. Shor said a typical 3-month exhibit in the U.S. draws more than 250,000 people.

Yossi Matias, an official from Google-Israel, said the project was part of a greater attempt to "break down barriers" and encourage the "dissemination and preservation of global heritage and culture."

Matias said Google has worked with European universities and Iraq's national museum to bring other texts and artifacts online, but the nature of the scrolls makes them more appealing to a greater public.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

~~~

For images and related articles, go to http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39742729

• Mary
    Mary

Wow! Thanks for posting this Baba! I love ancient history......Before I leave this earth, I'd love to take a trip to the Middle East....

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Before I leave this earth, I'd love to take a trip to the Middle East

Make sure you cover all skin but your eyelids and avoid the general public at all costs.

-Sab

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

You are so welcome, Mary! I'm glad somebody got as excited about this as I am.

Sabastious, I'm afraid I might have to agree with you there. I don't want to get into politics, but I have pretty much given up on the idea of visiting during my lifetime. It will take a long, long time before the effects of the last decade cool down.

All the more reason to be excited we can have the scans of these magnificent ancient scrolls right on our computer screens atop our cluttered desks.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey Baba..

Thats pretty cool..

As I don`t have time to go to the middle east..

And..

Take a number..So I can read the dead sea scrolls..

This will be a lot more convenient..

....................... ...OUTLAW

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Ha! Agreed, Outlaw! Can you believe that... only two people allowed in the scroll room at one time and only three hours to find whatever you were looking for once you got there.

Did you see that the online scans will actually be SEARCHABLE and (kindof-sortof) translated, also? I really am excited about this! I can't wait.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I have a searchable PDF of Martinez and Tigchelaar's edition of the non-biblical DSS, which has both the Hebrew/Aramaic text and the English translation. That is what I use. Logos already has downloadable modules including the DSS texts.

What is great about this project is that it will preserve (if the photos has high quality and of various modalities, such as infrared) the texts and make the originals accessible to the world at large for free. Hopefully it will include the many smaller fragments that have not yet been pieced together. There may be potential here of accelerated progress of piecing together more texts on account of the availability of digitized images.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Yes, Leo, I think the potential of this project is great, too (ooh, infrared!) And yes... I can definitely see it helping to puzzle together the fragments.

Speaking of the high quality of the photos, that was one of the first things that crossed my mind: How will they scan these things? I'm certainly not up on the technology, but I thought that any light bright enough to scan them would be damaging archive-wise. Even one flash photo can take its toll.

• CuriousButterfly
    CuriousButterfly

Thanks, I JUST read this and looking forward to looking through it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit