European court to hear Christian group's tax case against France

by Gayle 2 Replies latest social current

• Gayle
    Gayle

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/298905#ixzz12PBXkekw This includes a 60% tax on contributions used to support a vast humanitarian relief effort to Rwanda in 1994. I wonder how these funds went to support a vast humanitarian relief effort to Rwanda in 1994,,what amount?, given to Rwanda is what way,,how is that governed and by whom? ************************************************************************************************************

By Kevin Jess.
    +
    Strasbourg - The European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) has ruled unanimously that a complaint filed by Jehovah’s Witnesses in France is admissible regarding alleged interference with their freedom of religion by means of excessive taxation. The Constitution of France provides for freedom of religion, and the government respects this right in practice. Strict anti discrimination laws prohibit racially or religiously motivated attacks. Although the tax authorities expressly recognize the honest and non-profit nature of the Association Les Témoins de Jéhovah (ATJ) and could find no irregularities, they applied a tax law that is assessed at 60 percent of the value of the contributions. The amount involved in the controversy could exceed $79 million (U.S.). This includes a 60% tax on contributions used to support a vast humanitarian relief effort to Rwanda in 1994. The amount far exceeds the assets of the association. The main religions in France (Catholicism, Islam, Protestantism and Judaism) use associations regulated according to the 1901 law or the 1905 law in order to organize their activities. Under certain conditions, religious associations are granted certain tax advantages, such as exemption from property tax on buildings used for worship and from tax on bequests. Until now, none of the associations used by the main religions in France have been subjected to a tax on contributions. Some 250,000 persons attend the services of Jehovah’s Witnesses. They meet in 1,000 places of worship, which have been granted tax-free status by the authorities in France. However, the religious contributions made to the national association Association Les Témoins de Jéhovah are being taxed. This situation is without parallel in France, says a press release. According to a press release by PR Newswire, Simone Liebster, a former deportee under the Nazi regime who has been a member of Jehovah's Witnesses for 60 years said, "It's shocking that money I gave to my church is now being taxed. I gave that money for God's work, not for the government." The donations by Jehovah's Witnesses in France average $4 per Witness per month which are used to spread the gospel, to support missionary activities and to cover other aspects of worship. As with other religions, the contributions assist the functioning of the Church. On September 21, 2010, the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) ruled unanimously that the complaint filed by Jehovah’s Witnesses in France is admissible regarding alleged interference with their freedom of religion. The Court must now proceed to examine the merits of the case to determine whether or not the taxation scheme of the French government interfered with the religious freedom of Jehovah’s Witnesses in France. Jehovah's Witnesses have been actively worshiping in France for over 100 years

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/298905#ixzz12PCcjsp6

• Refriedtruth
    Refriedtruth

The author is a JW try to comment there if you will but he often will delete negative

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

Well spotted Gayle and great comments.

I think it completely wrong to tax money used for humanitarian work - especially given how much the brothers, sisters and of course worldly people suffered in that country. I suspect though that the % of their revenue since 1994 that was actually sent to Rwanda was pretty small.

anyone know how vast the relief effort was?

mmxiv

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit