Reminder About Copyright

by t33ap80c 5 Replies latest jw friends

• t33ap80c
    t33ap80c

Lately I've noticed that some have been offering to e-mail the PDF download version of "Captives of a Concept" to anyone requesting it. Apparently those doing this do not realize this is both unethical and illegal. See important information about the US Copyright Law at

http://www.copyright.gov/

For those who have not been able to afford the $7 for the book I have always e-mailed the PDF version to them at no charge. For those who would like to recommend the book please refer them to either

www.CaptivesOfaConcept.com or have them e-mail me at [email protected]

I don't mean to make a big issue of this matter but I would think that those who have mistakenly e-mailed illegal copies of the book will want to know this so that they can correct their mistake.

Please let me know if there are any questions about this matter.

Don Cameron
    CaptivesOfaConcept.com

[email protected]

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Thanks for the reminder, Don. I have been guilty of this. I apologize.

• undercover
    undercover
    I have been guilty of this. I apologize.

Now send him $7, you scofflaw you...

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Actually I am sending Don the 7 bucks for each book I gave out. It's only fair. I wasn't thinking things through. Everyone needs to make a living, right? And he's making a living helping people stuck in a cult. I'm all for it!

• undercover
    undercover
    Actually I am sending Don the 7 bucks for each book I gave out.

In that case, can you send me the PDF and give Don $7 more?

J/K

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And it steals the livelihood of those who create this material. The writers of these books do not do so for altruistic motives--they do it so they can get paid for creating a value for society. When we upload material like this and spread it without permission from those trying to make money from it, we are effectively telling the next person who wants to write a book to set mankind (or a segment thereof) free of religion or oppressive government that they will not get paid. And that will discourage them, since it costs money and time to create such works.

I can see if it's something the "copyright" holder is sitting on so they can control flow of information to the public. Like, a Kingdumb Misery telling the witlesses to do something that is illegal or repugnant--exposing that to the public would do the public a great service (so they might not join the cult). But Captives of a Concept, as with Crisis of Conscience, are the lifeblood of those who wrote them and are relying on them for income. Let's do those who are struggling to create and distribute this kind of value a favor and let them get paid for their hard work.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit