How much do you love Spam?

by John Aquila 3 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

I not sure how popular it is in other parts of the world but in my part of the world, it is not popular at all. If you had to climb a ladder to get to it you would have to climb over steak, ham, fish, chicken, tuna, bologna, and a few others meats before you get to Spam.

I have not seen a spam commercial since the 90s. And if I mention I’m buying a can of spam, I won’t get a call from my friends for a couple of weeks.

Yet, it does not matter if it is a small convenient store or a huge supermarket, they all stock up with plenty of Spam. And despite all the bad publicity and jokes, Spam Lives.

I was talking to a few JW friends that still talk to me. And from what I am hearing, most use field service as a coffee excursion. Very few are going in service door to door. It’s all telephone, email, carts, stands at universities.

In the old kingdom hall I used to attend they now have phone witnessing and emailing, Monday thru Friday from 10am to 3pm. According to some of my jw friends, for a whole month no one went out in door to door Mon-Friday, except to do RVs. Now my neighbor who is a jw, age 76, told me no one is abiding by the blood doctrine in the stickiest sense anymore. She said it’s a matter of conscience and people are more balance. She said, “You can always repent if you make a mistake” An elder told me the same thing, "Take and repent"

There are very few meetings now, only twice a week and very few attend the mid-week one. No one makes a fuss anymore. The elders take turns missing meetings during the week. And conventions are only one day, and very few attend the broadcast. And a lot of jws use the 3 day regional conventions as a means for vacation. I found out several families who attended last summer and only attended one day and spent the rest on vacation. Lots of brothers I knew who were elders in other congregations are now only attending the meetings once on Sunday every few months and the memorial just to keep the family intact. They have no problem sending their kids to college anymore and if the kids join sports, no one cares.And they are picking up things that I never would have thought of back then. Golfing, motorcycling, learning to fly, etc.

What’s interesting is that they have 12 persons in my old KH ready to get baptized at the next assembly and they are adults. But the way I see it, what's the big deal? They don’t have to go door to door, just telephone witnessing a few hrs. a month. And it’s actually fun to do telephone witnessing at the KH during the week. They order pizza, drinks, pastries. The young ones especially love it since other young one visit each hall to meet other single guys and gals. Meetings are not really a big deal anymore. They really don’t have to worry about the blood issue. I would have loved this arrangement when I was single and young.

What’s funny is that when the Circuit Overseer visits, the telephone witnessing for the week is cancelled. Everyone keeps quiet until he leaves and then it’s back to normal. No one says a thing and rocks the boat.

I believe the WT is dismantling all by itself. Their priority now is to keep their loyal customers who will continue to buy their product. And if they can entice new customers who can’t afford to buy anything else but their SPAM, then why not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6LDpYeTb0o

• cappytan
    cappytan

SIMON, THIS POST IS SPAM! GET OUT THE BAN HAMMER!

In all seriousness, I like Spam sandwiches and Spam & Egg tacos. Those are my favorite ways to eat spam.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

It's like cheap beer.

No one admits to ever buying it, but the liquor stores all stock a lot of it.

When out with friends or having friends over, they'll buy the bigger more exclusive and more expensive name brand.

Doc

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

I like the Monty Python Spam skit.

This is not like the good old days when banging on doors was the most important thing, rain, snow or shine. I recall one time some kids following us from door to door heckling us. Instead of leaving and coming back another day the elder made the decision for us to continue over the heckling.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit