1st Chilean miner rescued

by Dark Side 5 Replies latest social current

• Dark Side
    Dark Side

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/lt_chile_mine_collapse

By MICHAEL WARREN, Associated Press Writer Michael Warren, Associated Press Writer – 11 mins ago

SAN JOSE MINE, Chile – The first of 33 men was rescued Tuesday night after 69 days trapped in a collapsed mine, pulled to fresh air and freedom at last in a missile-like escape capsule to the cheers of his family and countrymen.

Florencio Avalos, wearing a helmet and sunglasses to protect him from the glare of rescue lights, smiled broadly as he emerged and hugged his sobbing 7-year-old son, Bairo, and wife. He also embraced Chilean President Sebastian Pinera and rescuers.

Also on hand was Avalos' other son and father.

After the capsule was pulled out of a manhole-sized opening, Avalos emerged as bystanders cheered, clapped and broke into a chant of "Chi! Chi! Chi! Le! Le! Le!" — the country's name.

Avalos gave a thumbs-up as he was led to an ambulance and medical tests after his more than two months deep below the Chilean desert — the longest anyone has ever been trapped underground and survived.

Avalos, the 31-year-old second-in-command of the miners, was chosen to be first because he was in the best condition. He has been so shy that he volunteered to handle the camera rescuers sent down so he wouldn't have to appear on the videos that the miners sent up.

• nelly136
    nelly136

5 now.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Is it true one of the miners is a Jehovah's Witness?

http://e-watchman.com/jehovahs-witnesses-news/2010/9/6/trapped-chilean-miner-thanks-jehovah.html

I haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere.

• Violia
    Violia

This reminds me of Baby Jessica in the late 80's. We all set in front of our TV sets until that little girl had been rescued.

• funnyface
    funnyface

Yes one is a JW 26 on the way up now Thank GOD!!!

• wasblind
    wasblind

Hi Slimboyfat,

JW's can always find something to bragg about. They bragged about what they did concerning Katrina, Haiti etc,etc,etc.....

they 've become so boastful it's sickening.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit