PBS: God in America

by leavingwt 6 Replies latest jw friends

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

On Monday, PBS began airing a new mini-series entitled, "God in America". I haven't seen it, yet. It sounds interesting.

PBS: God in America

You can view the trailer, here:http://video.pbs.org/video/1493303211/

Not surprisingly, the show is getting both praise and criticism.

Washington Post. . .

"God in America," a three-night joint production from "Frontline" and "American Experience" that begins Monday night, blends two subjects that most folks avoid in polite company -- religion and politics. It compellingly presents an American history that has been alternately ruined and elevated by faith.
    Even though the title suggests a subject that is far too broad, the series is commendably evenhanded and sober, as one would expect. If there were urgent-care centers for people who've flipped their lids watching too much Fox News or MSNBC, the nurses there would strap these frantic citizens to gurneys and administer "God in America" via a nice, slow IV drip, like a powerful PBS antibiotic.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/10/AR2010101003445.html

Chicago Tribune. . .

For those who believe Christianity is as American as apple pie and baseball, the six-hour, three-part PBS miniseries "God in America" starting Monday will delight.
    But for those who believe the U.S. was intended to be a beacon for all people to peacefully pursue happiness regardless of whether they worship God or how, the miniseries may disappoint.
    It is perhaps divine providence that actor Michael Emerson portrays Puritan pioneer John Winthrop. Emerson is best known for his role as Benjamin Linus in " Lost," and that's precisely what this miniseries turns out to be.
    Though its central premise that religious belief has shaped America's identity makes sense, its primary focus on Christianity misses the mark.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-10-11/entertainment/sc-tv-1008-tvcolumn-god-america-mon-220101011_1_religious-liberty-religious-freedom-new-religious-movements

L.A. Times. . .

The ongoing struggle between the old and the new, the orthodox and the liberal, the group and the individual, the earthly and the ethereal, rules and revelations, self-protecting elites and aspiring masses has characterized the national narrative in its secular and spiritual forms since visitors from Europe first set forth upon this continent their new notions. (Brief respect is paid at the series' beginning to the less dogmatic beliefs of the people who were here before them.) "God in America" goes so far as to suggest that the Revolution itself was a foregone conclusion, having already been locally rehearsed many times over in the fight for freedom of religion -- and also, it should be said, for freedom from religion.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/oct/11/entertainment/la-et-god-in-america-10112010

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

It should be a very interesting series. The story of religion in America, as opposed to the story of religion in general, gives an idea of how American society began to be structured as people from many European nations escaped the clutches of the dominant churches of their homeland and created a society where anyone could pick up a Bible and become a preacher.

I started googling stuff related to 'American religiosity' some time ago and found lots of interesting thoughts on why America has this, virtually unique in the Western world, love affair with religion.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Good show. Tonight's show is like the discussions about literalism verses non literalism in America that we are having at Oasis on Wednesday nights at St. Andrews. We're Episcopalians so it's interesting. We are participating in a thing called Living the Questions.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Surely the majority of the program should revolve around the "fall of Babylon the Great". The program can clearly point out that all false religion is on the dramatic decline since WW1, while the group selected by Jesus in 1919 has gone from victory to victory fulfilling every trumpet-blast and plague as prophecied in Revelation. It really should be entitled "God in Brooklyn Heights"... or this is just another piece of Satan's propaganda pretending that JWs are an irrelevant 19th century religion that has somehow survived into the 21st century.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Great trailer. I think I will record it on my DVR.

By the way, I've been to the Catholic Cathedral shown in the trailer earlier this year. It is in Baltimore, Maryland* and done in the "Greek Revival" style. The architecture was designed by Benjamin Henry Latrobe, "The Father of American Architecture," who also did the Capitol and the White House.

*Mary-Land which incidentally, was founded as a place for Catholics to be able to freely practice their religion, unlike in Britain.

BTS

• Hoping4Change
    Hoping4Change

I havent watched any of the episodes yet but I did go through the timeline that is on the website (http://www.pbs.org/godinamerica/timeline/) - JW's get a mention in 1940 for the Supreme Court ruling protecting the right of solicitation.

After having gone through the timeline I am left wondering why there is not more mention of JWs. Being a home grown sect like Mormonism, and being fairly well known as the group 'that said the end of the world was coming in 1975' and 'that goes door to door', I would think they deserved as much mention as Joseph Smith and the Mormons do in this time line

• jay88
    jay88

I am watching "A New Adam; A New Eden" episode of "God in America"

Very interesting.

Much a JW could learn from watching.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit