Fake it till you make it policies

by Markfromcali 3 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

I was thinking about the practice of not celebrating birthdays and holidays, and even though I've been out a good 10 years I actually am not that big on those celebrations - but I have nothing against them. And it occurs to me that if the birthday celebration policy is seen from the perspective of not encouraging individuality or even say ego, it is very much a fake it till you make it approach. Besides, is there really any indication that people who celebrate gets the big head or something?

People naturally become less self centered as they grow up, that's the way maturation works. To impose something like this, or any behavioral policy is really to deny the reality that people behave according to where they're at in their development, and is essentially backwards because you're only concerned with how it looks. Of course, being concerned with your image is a self centered attitude. So as an organization, then, it seems the WTS is rather immature.

What are some other things that show this fake it till you make it approach? Of course there's also a question of whether what you're trying to fake is even good and desireable..

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

Oh yeah, I forgot to point out that when you deny something that is naturally a process of development, maybe people never make it, or certainly you may stop or stifle the process. I'm sure those of you raised as JWs can speak to that.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

I agree with this in principle. I think it instructive to point out that most (all) of us have our dark sides. (by that, I don't mean seriel killer impulses...) I mean, things we like, desires, fantasies, etc, that we really don't want out in the open to one degree or another.

Not that this is what you were referring to. But we are all a work in process, and the only way to grow is to experience things, events, and emotions. Including the selfish, immature ones. For most people, its like burning your hand on the stove, and you tell yourself, "I sure as hell won't do THAT again."

THAT could be that one night stand, drunken binge where you were your most charming, the time that you felt speaking out would be just the thing to show how smart you were, and it didn't, etc.

So you do have to fake it till you make it once you leave. I call it, trying things on. Sometimes, to learn about yourself, you have to stretch outside of your comfort zone. Otherwise, you will always be asking "What if....?"

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

Hey Jeff, well I wouldn't call that faking it though. I mean you learn in life, but you are actually living it then, taking responsibility and the whole 9 yards. To follow the kind of nit picky things like not celebrating is faking it, because that's not really something YOU are doing, but you're just told it's a good idea.

But I guess in terms of the JW context it's ultimately fake it till you make it because there's all this talk about you're imperfect and sinful, so actually by that belief system -you- never make it until you reach this absolute state of sinless perfection that's just given to you, and meanwhile you fake it and that's supposed to protect you from the world. This just completely ignores the natural process of maturation, but like you say we are all a work in progress.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit