Collective Intelligence: Number of Women in Group Linked to Effectiveness in Solving Difficult Problems

by Markfromcali 8 Replies latest social current

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

To arrive at their conclusions, the researchers conducted studies at MIT's Center for Collective Intelligence and Carnegie Mellon, in which 699 people were placed in groups of two to five. The groups worked together on tasks that ranged from visual puzzles to negotiations, brainstorming, games and complex rule-based design assignments. The researchers concluded that a group's collective intelligence accounted for about 40 percent of the variation in performance on this wide range of tasks.

Moreover, the researchers found that the performance of groups was not primarily due to the individual abilities of the group's members. For instance, the average and maximum intelligence of individual group members did not significantly predict the performance of their groups overall.

"We didn't design this study to focus on the gender effect," Malone says. "That was a surprise to us." However, further analysis revealed that the effect seemed to be explained by the higher social sensitivity exhibited by females, on average.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/09/100930143339.htm

• snowbird
    snowbird

No surprise.

We women are natural-born problem-solvers.

Syl

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

It'd be interesting to see what the results are like if the problems were of a social nature. When you stop and think about it, a dictatorial relationship is by nature not socially sensitive. It is like Cartman from South Park riding his bigwheel, playing cop barking "You will respect my authoritayyyy!"

And it only creates uniformity, not unity.

• Farkel
    Farkel

I disagree for a very simple reason. Put a group of women together and they'll never quit talking long enough to get anything done!

Farkel

• snowbird
    snowbird

Yes!

Unity results from taking all points of view into consideration; I also believe that's why women seem to do better at parenting.

Syl

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

I disagree for a very simple reason. Put a group of women together and they'll never quit talking long enough to get anything done!

lol, well ultimately there does need to be some kind of balance. Just look at what Trin Tragula did to his poor wife..

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

At what point will women form a greater role in the WTS. Seriously?

MMXIV

• snowbird
    snowbird
    At what point will women form a greater role in the WTS. Seriously?

At the point of a well-aimed pair of stiletto shoes.

Seriously.

Syl

• St George of England
    St George of England

Couldn't understand what MIT was on about; probably due to being a man and spending too much time dreaming of women.

George

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit