Generation teaching

by Little Imp 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Little Imp
    Little Imp

I have just look up the word "generation"

The older definition of a "generation" (the average interval between the birth of an individual and the birth of its offspring) was 20 or 25 years.

However, genealogical studies have revealed that the common definition of a generation, 20 or 25 year average, is too simplistic and can account for large inaccuracies during statistical calculation.

According to Ancestry.com, a calculation based upon "three generations per century (33 years each) for malelines and 3.5 generations per century (29 years each) for female lines" leads to

much more accurate estimates

Does this mean the word "generation" takes on a different meaning in JW talk?

LI

• Little Imp
    Little Imp

Reposted due to formatting going haywire:

The older definition of a "generation" (the average interval between the birth of an individual and the birth of its offspring) was 20 or 25 years.

However, genealogical studies have revealed that the common definition of a generation, 20 or 25 year average, is too simplistic and can account for large inaccuracies during statistical calculation.

According to Ancestry.com, a calculation based upon "three generations per century (33 years each) for malelines and 3.5 generations per century (29 years each) for female lines" leads to much more accurate estimates.

• elderelite
    elderelite

oh yes.. according to JW's if your life overlapped with the life of someone else, even if they were 100 the day you were born, then you are of the same generation. dont use dictonary's. they are a tool satan.

• caliber
    caliber

The killer proof for me to show JW's is a chart of all 6 " understandings" of the term this generation

Please scroll down slightly on this thread http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/194575/1/How-many-times-has-the-WTS-changed-the-Generation-thing

They will be in shock to realize all these changes.. total documentation of years and teachings !!

The WT never makes "mistakes" they only have" timely new understanding " now and then !

• Little Imp
    Little Imp

Thanks Caliber, I shall look at this and digest it when I have more time. I know my husband will want to study this too. Quite a lot of work has been put into compiling the schedule but it good to have it all in one place.

Thanks again.

LI

• caliber
    caliber

You are welcome.... if only all of us could have seen such a chart thirty years ago .. yet three more changes have occur since then even !

Each change was made after WT history up to that point , started not to make sense..it is so clear then you see it layed out on one page.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Hey El,

I had a return visit last week , and I was told that the people living before the flood is one generation,

and the people alive after the flood was the generation that would see the big "A"

they had me so confused I didn't know what to say but I'm ready now. cause I can explain it to them

that Noah family from the first generation overlapped with the people after the flood so that would make them the

same generation according to the WT's new definition of generation. Did I get it right? or am i still confused

• jws
    jws

The first post above is talking about time between generations, which is different than speaking of a generation.

Today, we have people who were alive at certain times that are a generation (WW2 generation, Viet Nam generation, etc.).

But yes, JWs have invented a whole new meaning for generation so that they can cling to their goofy 1914 calculation for as long as they can.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit