Active posters: What education have you had, what degrees do you possess?

by EndofMysteries 76 Replies latest jw friends

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Educashun ? don't talk to me abaht edukashun, I spent 50 years in the Theocratic Ministry School !

And when I woke up, I realised they had taught me two things, not much and f**k all !

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

OrphanCrow, why did you quote me quoting cantleave?

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Damn. Sorry, Oubliette. I meant to include your entire post but now I see that my last minute editing didn't work out...stupid phone rang and I didn't get back to it after hitting Post Reply.

It was supposed to look like this:

Oubliette

cantleave: A degree can help open the door, but success once you have stepped through that door depends on many other factors.

:)

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

OC, you STILL didn't get the entire post, you just got me quoting cantleave.

Here's the whole thing:

Oubliette

Oubliette 20 hours ago

cantleave: A degree can help open the door, but success once you have stepped through that door depends on many other factors.

True dat!

Mostly it depends on persistence and hard work.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath
    eleven plus. at that point i didnt need to learn no more.
  • opusdei1972
    opusdei1972
    I had to get the Ph.D. degree (we call it here in Brazil "doutorado", or in English "doctorate degree). Because in Physics you can't get a good position without the doctorate degree here in Brazil. Also, when you get the doctorate degree, you are beginning your career of researcher. For instance, I have to publish annually a minimum number of papers in journals of certain reputation (of a minimum impact factor) so as to maintain my status. Otherwise I would not get financial support for my projects in the university, and the respective economical bonus. Therefore, my doctorate degree was my first step to be someone in the competitive world of the brazilian physicists. Of course, I know that in US and UK the competition is considerably harder, as in Germany. I had a postdoctoral position with two german physicists with a good number of papers published in Physical Review Letters (which is one of the best journals in Physics). However, they could not get a permanent position in their own country due to the hard competition.
  • OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Well, damn, Oubilette - it must be the forum demons at work again. It really was there when I posted it!

Oh well...like I said before - I have a Master of Fuck All - I can't figure out why it didn't post.

• talesin
    talesin

Smiddy, Hoser, Orphan Crow, I agree.

I do think that it's good to have at least a Master's Degree nowadays if one is entering certain professions. Heck, I was yanked out of school at 14, and by 30 had a very successful career, after obtaining my GED and beginning university at age 22. Ah, what a time that was! Learning is the bestest career in the world.

Education is a wonderful thing, and I've pursued it all my life as a perpetual student. Unfortunately, politics and connections will get you much farther in most fields than will your letters and hard work. Sad but true.

OC, hmm, depending on your specialization (ie, visual, film, sculpting, etc.), you may fare better with some good marketing. Your degree is NEVER wasted, please remember that! Yes, the art world is one that will disillusion a person quickly, but never stop creating . find a way. xoxo

• cantleave
    cantleave

Want to be successful and get ahead? Learn to be political in your job - your work usually comes second to that.

Most senior level roles in the corporate world require political astuteness and a high emotional quotient. I was never much of a political animal but despite that I have a great job that ticks all my boxes.

• Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake

After recent events and enlightening I'm going to be going to college soon.

planning on majoring in computer sciences

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit