University

by The Finger 8 Replies latest jw experiences

• The Finger
  • The Finger
    The Finger

Sorry! lol.

I took my son to University last weekend and my daughter started her Phd this week.

Some years ago I had a discussion with a sister about the reasons i was ceasing to attend the Hall and we got on to education. She told me how she could have done better and gone into further education. In fact her daughter who is really bright went and dropped out recently. I think due to pressure from the congregation.

Of course there are temptations at university which my son will endeavor to resist. (He took his bible. He may read it.)

When I had the elders round after writing to the society and recieving no reply. I brought up the education subject and they told me it was my own fault and my parents. The Society had always advocated education. Totally different from the discussion with the elders daughter I had had some weeks earlier.

I worry about my kids like any parent but I'm glad they have the opportunities they have.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Sending your kids to university is way better than sending them to Bethel....

...WAY better...

...believe me!

Have you thought about going back?

Good luck to them, and to you.

• St George of England
    St George of England
    Of course there are temptations at university which my son will endeavor to resist. (He took his bible. He may read it.)

More important he has a pack of condoms, just in case.

It's really great your daughter is starting her PhD, she will never regret that move EVER!

Encourage your son and support him in his education, whatever the outcome 'truthwise'. As I have said many times on this forum, Armageddon is NOT coming anytime soon but old age and retirement IS!! Now is the time to plan for his REAL future, not some dream as pictured in the WTS publications, sitting around petting lions and tigers!

George

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Who do these elders think they're fooling ?

Loz x

• The Finger
    The Finger

Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Yes I have thought of going, maybe to study Philosophy or Theology.

St. George,

I think he has a few boxes of condoms. He has a girlfriend but he was commenting how good the young ladies look. (How I was denied such pleasures.) He hopes to study medicine, and is doing a science degree at the moment.

Lozhasleft,

It really irritated me the dishonesty. I admit the final decision rests with an individual. However I know of people who did further education and it was frowned on while they did it only later to go to Bethel as the society needed their skills and they have served as Elders and have good income now.

• antes8080
    antes8080

I when't to university... they don't mine the contributions when you make more money!!!...

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

I believe the real reason the GB don't want you to go to University is not sex drugs and rock & roll. The real reason is that critical thinking is encouraged.

JWs are taught not to question, not to think any thing that they are not allowed to. Nothing is worth consideration unless written by the FDS. University says "prove me wrong but give me evidence, argue your case well".

That of course that is how knowledge progresses, people ask "Why"?, "How"?. Come back into the cong. with that enquiring mind and see what happens.

No, they can't afford the young to be given the gift of a questioning, curious mind.

SF

• The Finger
    The Finger

My daughter just got a full scholarship for her PhD in theology from her university. Yay!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit