Bima -- Jewish Temple 'Platform'

by Adiva 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Adiva
    Adiva

I don't post here and very seldom say anything but would welcome comments.

I've been Df'd and away for more than 25 years. My husband is Jewish and last year we joined a Temple that we'd attended for High Holidays for more 7 years. So tonite we got a call asking if we would consider being a part of an upcoming service, just a Sabbath or something. We'd need to go up as a couple on the Bima (the stage) and either read a part of the Torah or open and/or close the Ark of the Covenant as part of the service.

I'm okay with it but I don't read Hebrew. We're not planning on renewing our membership because it could cost too much but, after all of these years of seeing other couples on the Bima and now, suddenly we're being invited, I'm torn. It's a great honor. I don't know of many that have been asked to be on the Bima and I'm tickled that we . . . a bi-racial are being asked to participate. Yeah, I'm Black.

Have they run out of people to be Sabbath particpants; is it statement since we are across the street from our current Presidents' Chicago residence?

Comments??

• snowbird
    snowbird

Ohhh .... what an opportunity and privilege!

I love all things Jewish; I am also Black.

My desire is to attend a synagogue for Sabbath services.

I say go for it, notwithstanding the motive behind the invitation.

Syl

• moshe
    moshe

I was honored to carry the Torah at Sabbath services a few weeks ago.- Go ahead open the Ark, you might see things differently after you are on the Bima. As far as membership goes, tell them why you can't renew your membership this year and see, if they don't lower the dues for you, to help out.

• Adiva
    Adiva

Snowbird: I love your comment about loving all things Jewish. That's how I feel.

Moshe: I spoke with them about membership and they will let us renew for a much reduced rate.

It's a great temple, the oldest one in the midwest and very beautiful. Our Rabbi spoke about a conference call the president holds with other rabbi's and he gave a shout out to our temple (KAM Isaiah Israel) and mentioned how much he loves hearing the blowing of the Shofar at Rosh Hashana.

Yeah, I think we'll do it. We gon' represent!!

• watersprout
    watersprout

Yey! I'm Jewish by blood and i'm obsessed with all things Jewish!

Have a fabulous time and tell us all about it...

Peace and light

• snowbird
    snowbird
    We gon' represent!!

Now, that's what I'm talkin' 'bout!

A Jewish man works near me - he is so busy this time of year.

I JUST LOVE HIM!

Syl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit