Nisan 14 Enigma!

by The Searcher 9 Replies latest watchtower bible

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Where did Jesus take his faithful 11 apostles immediately after finishing the meal in the upper room?

Anyone looked at this before?

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

The garden of Gethsemane?!?!

Hey Searcher, where does the bible teach that Jesus dismissed Judas "before" the emblems were passed?? Last nights speaker said Judas was dismissed, but the scriptures don't seem to say that.

DD

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Not the Garden of Gethsemane!

Just emailed an answer about this to an ex-Elder's wife.

Luke's accurate account of that night, clearly shows that the sequence of events proves that Judas partook of the bread & wine - contradicted by the Insight Book which claims that Luke's account is wrong! (Luke 22:19-21)

it-2 p. 130 Judas

"Luke’s presentation of this incident evidently is not in strict chronological order.."

• ron rawson
    ron rawson
    The advertisement that popped up on my computer under The Searchers comments says: "Maui Hotel Deluxe Oceanfront Maui Condos. Rooms as Low as $99." I had to laugh.....maybe thats the real answer to the original question on this thread......
  • DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

The Mount of Olives, to a place called Gethsemane?!?!

DD

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Here's the enigma: Jesus took a detour to an unknown venue, in order to have a longer talk with the 11.

He knew that Judas would be coming back to the upper room with the mob, so Jesus being one step ahead, took evasive action to gain time to say what he had to say.

Here are the details:

STAGE 1

At John 13:2, the Lord's Evening meal is progressing.

Jesus then passes the bread & wine, after which he dismisses Judas, (v27) then speaks to the 11 apostles for approximately 5 minutes. (to the end of John chapter 14)

Jesus ends chapter 14 by saying, "Get up, let us go from here."

"Here" was obviously the upper room where they'd celebrated the Passover/Lord's Evening Meal.

STAGE 2

On reaching their new location, Jesus speaks to the 11 apostles for a further 10-15 minutes, (chapters 15 & 16) and having concluded by praying to his Father for a further 5 minutes or so, (chapter 17) Jesus then took his apostles over the Kidron Valley to the Garden of Gethsemane. (chapter 18:1)

STAGE 3

They are now in the Garden of Gethsemane.

Enigma - where was the location in Stage 2?

• edmond dantes
    edmond dantes

Simples they then went the local Kingdumb Hall and had a Watchtower scroll study just to verify which generation they belonged to. They also did a quick study about the return of Jesus and why in the future it would be a waste of time holding up a name card at the airport terminal because of the fact that Jesus did not use the Greek word for myopia what in fact he really meant was the eye of understanding which boils down to perception .

They were then admonished to look into a forth coming study concerning new light entitled Invisibility Cloaks Should You Wear One In The Ministry. This will be followed by a full Governing Body presentation and talk entitled Scientists R US this will be an in depth study into the bending of light creating a situation in which we will all be walking about bumping into trees.

• Heaven
    Heaven

ron rawson said: The advertisement that popped up on my computer under The Searchers comments says: "Maui Hotel Deluxe Oceanfront Maui Condos. Rooms as Low as $99." I had to laugh.....maybe thats the real answer to the original question on this thread......

I'm getting The Sea Pines Resort. Too funny!

• lambsbottom
    lambsbottom

Hey Bro. Searcher!

Always nice to hear from you!

God bless you,

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Searcher:

Very interesting find. All the times I have read that account I somehow always assumed they were in the same place until the end of chapter 17. I wonder if John 17:1 ("[Jesus] lifted up his eyes to heaven . . .") might be an indication of an outside location?

Looking at various commentaries, they seem to accept the possibility (of the group leaving the upper room after chapter 14) without being dogmatic about it. Some suggest possibly a location passing through vineyards or near the temple entrance (where there was a golden vine hanging over the entrance) whilst giving the vine illustration of chapter 15.

This is the only recent WT commentary I could find on it (Greatest Man book):

*** gt chap. 116 Preparing the Apostles for His Departure ***
    Following the memorial meal, Jesus has been encouraging his apostles with an informal heart-to-heart talk. It may be past midnight. So Jesus urges: “Get up, let us go from here.” However, before they leave, Jesus, moved by his love for them, continues speaking, providing a motivating illustration.
    Also see w90 8/15 p.8 which the Greatest Man book account is taken from.

Bobcat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit