1922 Drop of Memorial attendies of JW's

by Balsam 5 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Balsam
    Balsam

The Jehovah's Witnesses began to emphasize their trademark house-to-house preaching in 1922. In spite of these efforts, attendance at their yearly Memorial dropped from a high of 90,434 in 1925 down to 17,380 in 1928, due to the previous power struggle, the failed predictions for the year 1925, and a number of significant doctrinal changes that alienated those who sided with Russell's views. By 1933, the year 1914 was reinterpreted as the beginning of Christ's presence and therefore the start of the "last days" rather than the terminal date in their chronology. Under Rutherford, the downward trend in membership would soon reverse itself, and the movement's membership grew to about 115,000 at the time of his death in 1942.

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Jehovah's_Witnesses

I was just reading this page and I recall when I was studying back in 1970 talking about this time period and they said on a few left and they were all apostates following Russell. But if you look at the numbers 70,054 leftthe Bible Students as they were then known as. The witnesses that studied with me didn't tell me the numbers and dumb me I never really checked it out till now some 40 years later. It is is obvious from the numbers that the majority of Bible Students never bought into Judge Rutherford take over of the organization back then. Of course I caught JW's in other delusions & lies since 2001. I' just glad to be out. of this religion, like most religions today they all have hidden secrets because of the leadership over the years of operation. But soy hows how they cover up the negative information about themselves just like they say other religions do. I've been out now 9 years and I'm still finding out stuff on that darn religion I devoted myself too for 30 years. Learning all this can sure make us feel like losers when we finally awaken from the dream.

• ssn587
    ssn587

It shouldn't suprise anyone that the Society lies, if their lips are moving there is a very good chance that they are lying. I too had often wondered just how many they lost over the take over and the failed prophecy of 1925 that by the way was blamed on the rank and file dub.

• St George of England
    St George of England

The term "faithful remnant" was apparently coined by Rutherford to describe the few remaining after 1925 and the failed end again.

George

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

You can read my rough analysis and research on the memorial figures here:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/171524/1/How-many-JWs-left-after-the-1925-debacle

The attendance in 1928 is about the same as it was in 1919, so I think the increase to those high pre-1925 levels was due to the "Millions" campaign, with a corresponding decrease when disillusionment followed. But there are a lot of other things going on, like long-term Bible Students leaving the Watchtower Society on account of Rutherford's doctrinal and pastoral changes. The figures are also problematic as I discuss in detail on that thread, so they may mask or, conversely, exaggerate the number of people actually leaving.

• caliber
    caliber
    The figures are also problematic as I discuss in detail on that thread, so they may mask or, conversely, exaggerate the number of people actually leaving.

This thought about figures makes me laugh... I was once talking to a neighbor who smoked.... I told her well statisics say this

about smoking " her answer now rings clearer with each passing year of my life "Hell ..you can do anything with figures " !

• Balsam
    Balsam

Thanks for all the comments, I went and read the other thread about the dates and drop in followers. The faithful remanant makes sense now, when I heard that in the 1970's it didn't make sense to me and basically I accepted it without even questioning what they were talking about. It is true if they open their mouths they were lying and then everyone listening to them and trusting them was picking up the lie and passing it on. I know I did thinking I was speaking the truth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit