Can you believe it? 26 groups!

by ozziepost 7 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Typical of the accusations made by the WTS concerning the lack of Bible teaching in churches have been these, taken from the Awake! magazine:

Bible Neglected
    Although the Bible is the best seller, the reading of it is being neglected by the churches. On this point James D. Smart, a professor at New York’s Union Theological Seminary observed: “The Bible is in a very bad way in the church. . . . In a century during which biblical scholarship has made tremendous advances in America, with literature on the Bible expanding enormously and a number of the new highly readable translations becoming ‘best sellers,’ there has been an increasing frustration of preachers with the Scriptures as a basis for sermons, a steady decline in the educational use of the Bible in the church, and a mounting ignorance of the contents of the Bible among members of the church.” April 8, 1971 page 30
    “No Bible Study Is Really Ever Done”
    Dr. L. M. Muntingh, head of the department of Bible knowledge at the University of Stellenbosch in South Africa, commented on the question “Is theological study too long?” In Die Kerkbode (February 4, 1970, page 161), the official church magazine for the Dutch Reformed churches in South Africa, he wrote:
    “During the entire course of seven years, no Bible study is really ever done, as every minister can testify. The result is that many a minister’s knowledge of the Afrikaans Bible leaves much to be desired. The result is that his ministry suffers.”February 8 1972, page 24
    Christendom’s Bible Illiteracy
    Dr. Harrell F. Beck, Boston University School of Theology professor, bemoans the lack of Bible knowledge in the churches today. He says that “the biblical and theological illiteracy of the parish is the greatest single impediment to Christian ministry in our time.” But Beck himself also claims that the Bible offers little in the way of specific answers to today’s problems. Ministers, he says, must be trained “to interpret the meaning of the kingdom of God for political life.”December 22 1972, page 29

It may surprise, then, to learn that quite the opposite is the case here in New South Wales. Typical is the experience of one church in a country town whose newsletter this week lists the addresses for 26 Bible study groups in its congregation, typically each one having 10 to 20 attending. Upon enquiry, this ozzieposter was told that the attendance is regular throughout the year.

I compare this with the group book studies (I hesitate to call them Bible studies!) in Witness congregations in New South Wales which have for many years now been poorly attended and recieve "attention" from the C.O.s during their semi-annual visits to the congregations.

Where, I wonder, is the lack of Bible teaching?

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"It's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness."
    Anonymous

• Ivor Hope
    Ivor Hope

That's one of the WTS myths that I discovered very soon after breaking free. They paint the picture that the only Bible even possess is the family one covered in dust...I bet you can all remember demos on the platform where the householder is asked to produce a bible and promptly blows the dust off it. The message clearly being that only JWs ever read it.

The reality is totally the opposite.

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

One way to not study the Bible is to allow someone else to tell you what it means...

• roybatty
    roybatty

Even when I left the JW and later attended a local church I still bought into the WT's "myth" that churchs don't study the Bible. This was because during the Sunday church service, reading from the Bible didn't occur as often as at the KH. However, what I didn't realize was that most churchs have a differnt approach then the WT's. During the week the churchs around here have their evening Bible study for adults and Sunday school for the kids.
    Talk about a much more lively discussion! The way that JWs study the Bible is a disservice to the word "study." Reading a paragraph, answering predetermined questions and looking up ONLY the scriptures cited within the paragraph is indoctrination, not studying.

• Room 215
    Room 215

Hi Ozzie, et al,

That business about Christendom's Bible illiteracy is one of the most pervasive myths of JW culture.

Actually, because of their abuse of the topical style of Bible study -- assemblage and memorization by rote of key texts to support their web of doctrines -- it's been my experience that very few witnesses have actually read the Bible from cover to cover, or have attempted to study it systematically book by book.

• Mrs Ozzie
    Mrs Ozzie

HI 215, So true! The Bible study we now attend uses only the Bible and after 12 years they are only up to Luke! A short passage is read and then everyone freely comments and asks questions which can lead to all kinds of interesting side studies. It is orderly, stimulating and everyone feels free to say whatever they want. The leader always has research/scriptural references and we also have a lot of laughs. When we are all ready to move on, we do. We always laugh when we go away on holiday to see how little we have progressed in the chapter. We love it and have learned more in the last 4 years than we have ever learned before. The freedom to be able to just ask a question (without interrupting the book study!!!) is a real treat.

I enjoy reading your posts.

Bye,

Mrs Ozzie

Where else have we to go
    When You alone have words of eternal life?

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Roy,

The way that JWs study the Bible is a disservice to the word "study." Reading a paragraph, answering predetermined questions and looking up ONLY the scriptures cited within the paragraph is indoctrination, not studying.
    The reading of scriptures becomes secondary to the reading of the study book material and are read only if time permits!

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"It's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness."
    Anonymous

• Room 215
    Room 215

Mrs Ozzie,

Thanks for your kind words and welcome aboard! As Ray Franz so insightfully pointed out in one of his two books, the recurrent pattern for a JW convert is that of an initial euphoria as he/she gathers up the two dozen or so verses that he/she will then use for the rest of his/her JW life to defend the half dozen or so central JW doctrines.

Once these have been committed to memory, stagnation sets in and his/her spiritual development is arrested at that point.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit