Education and dumbing down

by WildeLover 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• WildeLover
    WildeLover

Hi all

i have a theory that the denigrating of education that continues to occur at assembles. convention etc is a subtle means the wbts use to keep the members "dumbed down" so they wont develop and think to ask questions?

i just feel after my time doing a degree and a masters that this is the case- feel more enlightened culturally and mentally and can see a lot of the narrow-mindedness of the other JWs.

any thoughts?

Wilde Lover =)

• zoiks
    zoiks

Agreed. Almost anyone has the means and available resources to verify the WTS' claims, regardless of the subject. The current state of any given JW's education and critical thinking abilities almost completely guarantees that this won't happen.

Also, welcome!

• wasblind
    wasblind

Welcome WildeLover,

I can remember about a year before my exit, I was being told that it would be best if my child attended a community college

Or take a short course in Nursing Aide, so she could put more time in field service and possible become a baptised JW.

this was from the same person that said she should not attend the prom or be involved in extra curricular activities . Ok

My child for one said that she is not Nursing material, this is her life why would I want to force her to do something she doesn't

want too. She's In college now, having the time of her life and will be studying abroad before she leaves college. BTW she went

to the prom and did extra curricular activities in school, and I must say she is a very well round child, I'm thankful I woke up before

this religion destroyed us both.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

you're pretty smart.

welcome, and good luck

• sir82
    sir82

Yep.

They have no problem with vocational or technical training.

But a college education, with elective courses and a well-rounded education in western culture and exposure to different ideas (many of which contradict the WT worldview), is an absolute no-no.

Once someone learns to think critically and ask questions, it is quite natural to direct this newfound ability toward WT teachings.

And of course virtually none of the WT theological teachings can stand up to more than a few minutes of rational thought.

• Ding
    Ding

Anything they can do to keep JWs from leading a normal life keeps them dependent on the organization. This includes schooling for careers they are qualified for.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Sir82,

Your my kind of poster

• Heaven
    Heaven

Welcome WildeLover!

I agree with you. In addition, I think the Botchtower doesn't want their members to do additional research because it doesn't take long to discover they are lying and telling untruths about so much. Once you discover you've been lied to, you can no longer trust anything coming from the source of the lies.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The life they want people living is austere. They want people just smart enough to go to all the doors and preach a canned message, possibly using the Not Well Translated Bible to a few scriptures out of context to back it up. Any time anyone is smart enough to find another scripture to back it up that is not part of the official presentation, they do not like it because it is as easy to find one to throw it back in their faces.

Ultimately, a person is supposed to pio-sneer. Their life revolves around field circus. Their paying job is solely to finance field circus, and it has to be menial. Preferably, it will be one that all the customers and the boss are witlesses (so if they ever quit the religion or break the rules, they lose the job and their livelihood as well). Their housing, if not with witless parents, comes from witless slumlords (which most witless landlords are). Again, if they are not doing "enough" in the cancer, they are likely to face eviction in short order. This lifestyle allows zero chances to grow and find out that things are not as they are supposed to be.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit