Any E reader people here?

by highdose 7 Replies latest jw friends

• highdose
    highdose

hi all

I'm thinking of getting an e reader but have never used this medium before. Does anyone have any recomends?

Also is there any p2p file sharing sites for e reader files?

• I quit!
    I quit!

I'm thinking of getting a Nook because you have free access to the internet to download books and also with the Nook you can share you books with others I think for up to two weeks. The Kindle also looks like a good system so I'm considering that one. I've been waiting for the price to go down on them and for them to add new features.

I downloaded Kindle to my Droid to get an idea about how it works. You can download the classic for free or very cheap. Last night I downloaded Siddhartha by Herman Hesse for 99 cents. I downloaded a book by Mark Twan for free. I've only downloaded one book so far that I had pay full price for but it was still about half the price of buying a hard copy of it. I also Aldiko on my Droid. It operates similar to the Kindle. I like both applications. I also downloaded the Nook but it took up to much memory and messed up my phone to where I couldn't even make or receive calls so I had to remove it. I think the reason was that when you download it downloads a ton of books onto your phone at the same time. The newer Droids probably have an easier time with it because they have more memory for one thing.

As far as the unit themselves go the Nook doesn't have a keyboard like the Kindle but that doesn't bother me. With the Sony I think you have to pay for internet access where it is free with the Nook and I think there no charge for internet access on the Kindle. If you have a Barnes and Noble by you you can check it the Nook out there. I think you can see the Sony at Border's Books.

• no lies please
    no lies please

I have a Kindle and love it. I spent about 6 months trying to decide between the Nook and the Kindle. The main reason Kindle won out was because Amazon carried far more of the ebooks that I was considering. I also decided that I didn't want it to feel like another electronic device. I have enough of them already. The Nook's color touch-screen made it feel like another electronic device. The Kindle felt more like a book. I added a leather cover which completed the effect.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Kindle is MUCH better than Nook, IMO. I LOVE it. You can also put your own pdfs on it. So you don't necessarily have to buy their books to read.

• no lies please
    no lies please

Good points, brotherdan. I had a PDF of the elders manual ("Pay Attention..."), and a copy of Captives of a Concept that I bought online that I was able to load on it.

• Lost-In-Translation
    Lost-In-Translation

I have a Kindle. I know a few people who work in major publishing companies and they use the Kindle. The Nook still needs a bunch of software improvements. Many thought that Apple's iPad would conquer a larger share of the ebook market, but most people who are avid readers do not like having such a large device to read an ebook - plus the iPad is very expensive. A WIFI Kindle is just $139.

• recovering
    recovering

I love my kindle, i think in the long run, it is the cost effective option. I also like it's user interface is the easiest to use.

• highdose
    highdose

is it possible for the kindle to download and support any file? What i mean is, say i download a book from somewhere other than amazon? Or if i tried to copy accross a e book from a freinds computer?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit