Praying in Public?

by Garrett 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Garrett
    Garrett

hellloooo fellow apostates, mentally diseased devil worshippers :) how is everyone?

today, I listened to a song about praying and how one can pray anywhere. Well, this song brought back the horror of sitting in restaurants, mcdonalds, coffee shops etc and having a group of brothers and sister bow their head and pray for what seemed to be an eternity.

How did you guys feel when this happened? What did you do? Personally, I would look at my food, thinking to myself "where shall I start?". I personally HATED praying out in public. It makes you look like a wackjob.

peace and love,

garrett

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown
    Oh isn't it nice to eat a meal without appearing like you suffer from narcolepsy.lol.
  • fastJehu
    fastJehu
    (Matthew 6:5, 6) 5 “Also, when YOU pray, YOU must not be as the hypocrites; because they like to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the broad ways to be visible to men. Truly I say to YOU, They are having their reward in full. 6 You, however, when you pray, go into your private room and, after shutting your door, pray to your Father who is in secret; then your Father who looks on in secret will repay you.

1000 years <<like>> 1 day

Praying for a meal 2 hours later at home <<like>> some seconds later for god.

Should be no problem for him ;-)

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Just another day of devil worshipping over here.

I actually never did that. I couldn't do it. I thought it looked so self righteous.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

As fastjehu quoted above, that scripture always made me think once I was an adult (even while a believer) I would never draw attention by such public prayers!

If god can hear our prayers while walking, driving etc, then why did we need to make a big show while sitting in a restaurant?

Do people do it to pray to god, or make a public show of how "spiritual" they are??

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

As fastjehu quoted above, that scripture always made me think once I was an adult (even while a believer). So I would never draw attention by such public prayers!

If god can hear our prayers while walking, driving etc, then why did we need to make a big show while sitting in a restaurant?

Do people do it to pray to god, or make a public show of how "spiritual" they are??

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

stuckinarut2 its the same as everything in this religion, even in their own sideways way they admit it's about what you show. faith without works and all that bull$hit.

The people that make the biggest outward display area clearly the most "SPIRITUAL". It's the same reason the JW plaster their instagram with pictures of themselves guarding the carts, and holding up a magazine in public... who are they showing it to? Each other? Seems silly doesn't it?

Its like "hey I just need to remind you every hour on the hour in someway I haven't left the truth". total insanity. That pissed me of my whole jw life, the need to show it. Because I got criticized for not being one who participates in these shameless, self stroking displays of cult loyalty.

Again they are designed to show EACH OTHER. What is the point? Self gratifying religious masterbation, and showing the rest you are still fully indoctrinated!

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Great point freemindfade!

I can't stand those social media posts and pictures boasting about their "service activities!!"

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

I hated restaurant praying too. why couldn't people just say their own prayer if they had to? When someone wanted to say it for everyone that was just horrid. Look down, fiddle with the napkin in your lap till it's over.

I actually do not normally pray before meals (and I'm christian). I just don't like to pray then.

• blondie
    blondie

It would irritate me that they did it in public but never at home or even at an assembly/convention.

It's all for show.

http://www.openbible.info/topics/praying_in_public

Matthew 6:6 ESV /

But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.

Matthew 6:5 ESV /

“And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward.

Matthew 6:7 ESV /

“And when you pray, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do, for they think that they will be heard for their many words.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit