How Does the WT Explain These Verses About Jehovah's Judgment?

by Ding 2 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Ding
    Ding

How does the WT explain these verses in the NWT?

Zephaniah 1:2: "I shall without fail finish everything off the surface of the ground," is the utterance of Jehovah.

Zephaniah 1:3: "I shall finish off earthling man and beast. I shall finish off the flying creatures of the heavens and the fishes of the sea, and the stumbling blocks with the wicked ones; and I will cut off mankind from the surface of the ground," is the utterance of Jehovah.

Zephaniah 1:18: "Neither their silver nor their gold will be able to deliver them in the day of Jehovah's fury; but by the fire of his zeal the whole earth will be devoured, because he will make an extermination, indeed a terrible one, of all the inhabitants of the earth."

• sir82
    sir82

The same way they explain everything:

"Everything that the Bible says that agrees with our theology, is literal; everything that contradicts it is symbolic".

Come to think of it, that line of reasoning applies to just about every flavor of Christian belief...but I digress...

In the above verses, therefore, the JWs hold that "all the inhabitants of the earth" symbolizes "the world of ungodly men" or some such folderol....

• Ding
    Ding

Have they actually said this anywhere?

Or do they just ignore these verses because they contradict their Paradise Earth eschatology?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit