WHY DOES THE WATCHTOWER TEACH THAT THERE WILL BE NO HUMANS IN HEAVEN?

by clarity 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• clarity
    clarity

1 Cor 15:51 says that our mortal bodies will be changed. How? By giving up or taking off the physical body. No.

Not taking off ... but putting ON incorruption and immortality. Putting ON is the opposite of taking OFF.

"The Watchtower's key biblical passage that they use to "prove" their teaching that those who enter heaven must give up their physical bodies, is 1 Corinthians 15:50, "Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does corruption inherit incorruption." The Watchtower teaches that this means that physical man cannot enter heaven. But let's have a closer look at this passage. Do you see that in this passage that corruption is equated to flesh and blood and incorruption is equated to the kingdom of God? Wouldn't that mean that these corruptible mortal bodies of ours that are subject to death and decay cannot possess the kingdom of God in this mortal state?

How will these mortals be changed?

The next few verses clarify what must happen to these mortal bodies to qualify them for heaven. 1 Corinthians 15:51 says that the dead will be raised incorruptible and that we shall be changed. How are these mortal bodies to be changed? Is it by giving up or taking off the physical body as the Watchtower teaches? Verses 53 declares that this corruptible or mortal body must put on incorruption and immortality. Do you see that it says the mortal must put on immortality? Putting on immortality is putting on eternal life so that the mortal body is changed to a body that will never die. Do you see that putting on is the opposite of taking off ? Instead of teaching that one must give up their humanity to enter heaven, this passage teaches just the opposite. This passage agrees with Romans 8:11 "But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you."

www.jwinfoline.com/documents/heaven/pf_wt_teach_n

Does anyone else find it comforting that according to these scriptures, there is a distinct possibility that we would not have to give up our Humanity in order to enter Heaven?

clarity

• clarity
  • Chalam
    Chalam

"The Watchtower's key biblical passage that they use to "prove" their teaching that those who enter heaven must give up their physical bodies, is 1 Corinthians 15:50

Of course, once again they directly ignore the very words of Jesus.

Luke 24:39 (English Standard Version)

39 See my hands and my feet, that it is I myself. Touch me, and see. For a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have."

Of course, the WT know more than the apostle Paul!

2 Corinthians 12:2-4 (New International Version)

2 I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven. Whether it was in the body or out of the body I do not know—God knows. 3 And I know that this man—whether in the body or apart from the body I do not know, but God knows— 4 was caught up to paradise. He heard inexpressible things, things that man is not permitted to tell.

Have a read about what he says regarding the resurrection body 1 Corinthians 15

Blessings,

Stephen

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Rom 8:11 If, now, the spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwells in YOU, he that raised up Christ Jesus from the dead will also make YOUR mortal bodies alive through his spirit that resides in YOU.

• pirata
    pirata

Interesting scripture in 2 Cor. 12:2-4, I had not noticed that before (I think, in the past, my mind tended to gloss over scriptures that didn't fit in neatly with the doctrince I had already learned).

Extremely bizarre is the Watchtower's explanation of 2 Corinthians 12:2-4. In a nutshell, they say that the "man" is Paul himself, that the "heavens" are spiritual, and that "paradise" is the future spiritual paradise found among anointed Jehovah's Witnesses. This requires a serious stretching of the imagination!

w70 12/15 pp.767-768 QuestionsFromReaders

What is the "third heaven" and" paradise" to which 2 Corinthians 12:2,4 refers?—R.B.,U.S.A.

At 2 Corinthians 12:2-4 the apostle Paul describes one who was "caught away . . . to the third heaven" and "into paradise." Since there is no mention in the Scriptures of any other person having had such an experience, it seems likely that this was the apostle Paul’s own experience. Whereas some have endeavored to relate Paul’s reference to the "third heaven" to the early Rabbinical view that there were stages of heaven, even a total of "seven heavens," this view finds no support in the Scriptures.

When we examine the context, it becomes apparent that the apostle is not referring to the heavens within earth’s atmospheric expanse or to outer space. The apostle wrote: "I shall pass on to supernatural visions and revelations of the Lord. I know a man in union with Christ who, fourteen years ago—whether in the body I do not know, or out of the body I do not know; God knows—was caught away as such to the third heaven. . . . he was caught away into paradise and heard unutterable words which it is not lawful for a man to speak."—2 Cor. 12:1-4.

It therefore appears that the reference to the "third heaven" relates to the spiritual heavens and indicates the superlative degree of the rapture in which this vision was seen. In this regard, one can note the way words and expressions are repeated three times at Isaiah 6:3, Ezekiel 21:27, John 21:15-17 and Revelation 4:8, evidently for the purpose of expressing an intensification of the quality or idea.

Caught away to the "third heaven," the vision-viewer entered "paradise" and heard unutterable words. A key to understanding Paul’s description of the vision is found in the prophecies of the Hebrew Scriptures that relate to the restoration of God’s ancient people. Throughout many of the prophetic books of the Bible divine promises are found regarding the restoration of Israel from the lands of its exile to its desolated homeland. God would cause that abandoned land to be tilled and sown, to produce richly and to abound with humankind and animalkind; the cities would be rebuilt and inhabited and people would say: "That land yonder which was laid desolate has become like the garden of Eden."—Ezek. 36:6-11, 29, 30, 33-35; compare Isaiah 51:3; Jeremiah 31:10-12; Ezekiel 34:25-27.

However, these prophecies also show that paradise conditions related to the people themselves. By faithfulness to God, they could now "sprout" and flourish as "trees of righteousness," enjoying beautiful spiritual prosperity like a "well-watered garden," showered by bounteous blessings from God due to having his favor. (Isa. 58:11; 61:3, 11; Jer. 31:12; 32:41) The people of Israel had been God’s vineyard, his planting, but their badness and apostasy from true worship had caused a figurative ‘withering away’ of their spiritual field, even before the literal desolation of their land took place.—Compare Exodus 15:17; Isaiah 5:1-8; Jeremiah 2:21.

Thus the paradise envisioned by the apostle Paul could refer to a spiritual state among God’s people, as in the case of fleshly Israel. This can be seen from the fact that the Christian congregation was also God’s "field under cultivation," his spiritual vineyard, rooted in Jesus Christ and bearing fruit to God’s praise. (1 Cor. 3:9; John 15:1-8) As such it had replaced the nation of Israel in God’s favor.—Compare Matthew 21:33-43.

Paul’s vision, nevertheless, must logically have applied to some future time. An apostasy was due to set in among the Christian congregation, was already working in Paul’s day, and would result in a condition like that of a field oversown with weeds. (Matt. 13:24-30, 36-43; Acts 20:29; 2 Thess. 2:3, 7; compare Hebrews 6:7, 8.) So, Paul’s paradise vision would not reasonably apply while such was the case. Rather, it would evidently relate to the time of the "harvest season" when the genuine Christians would be gathered by the angelic reapers and would enjoy rich blessings and spiritual prosperity from God.

The anointed footstep followers of Jesus Christ who are living today are indeed enjoying a spiritual paradise, as can be seen from the spiritual prosperity now evident among them. In fact, the spiritual prosperity today under God’s established kingdom is more glorious than that enjoyed during the apostolic days, the initial period of Christianity. Sharing in today’s spiritual prosperity are the "great crowd" of "other sheep" who look forward to enjoying a literal paradise here on the earth in the near future.—Rev. 21:1-4.

2 Corinthians 12:2-4 (New International Version)

2 I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven. Whether it was in the body or out of the body I do not know—God knows. 3 And I know that this man—whether in the body or apart from the body I do not know, but God knows— 4 was caught up to paradise. He heard inexpressible things, things that man is not permitted to tell.
  • Chalam
    Chalam

My eyes start to glaze over as I read the WT baloney!

Here's some notes from the ESV Study Bible as an antidote :)

[Paul's Visions and His Thorn]

[12:1] I must go on boasting. Though there is nothing to be gained by it, I will go on to visions and revelations of the Lord.

(2 Corinthians 12:1; 2 Corinthians 12:2-4 ESV)[2] I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven—whether in the body or out of the body I do not know, God knows. [3] And I know that this man was caught up into paradise—whether in the body or out of the body I do not know, God knows— [4] and he heard things that cannot be told, which man may not utter.

(2 Corinthians 12:1; 2 Corinthians 12:2-4 ESV)

2 Cor. 12:1–13 Paul's Boast in His Heavenly Vision and Subsequent Weakness. Because his opponents boast in their spiritual experiences as well as in their ethnic identity, Paul is also forced to boast, however foolishly, in his own visions and revelations (see 11:1, 16; 12:11). But then in vv. 7–10 he returns one last time to boasting in his weakness, revealing the presence of a “thorn in the flesh” as the appropriate means for glorifying God's grace and power in his life and ministry. In vv. 9–10 he clearly states the principle behind this aspect of his self-commendation (1:3–11; 2:14–17; 4:7–12; 6:3–10; 11:23–33): Paul's earthly weaknesses, not his revelations, are to be the platform for demonstrating the Lord's power and grace.

2 Cor. 12:2–3 I know a man … this man. Paul's hesitancy to boast of his visions is reflected in his use of the third person (as if it had happened to someone else). the third heaven (i.e., the highest; see 1 Kings 8:27; 2 Chron. 2:6; Neh. 9:6;Ps. 148:4). This phrase does not imply belief in a simplistic “three-story universe” but reflects a commonsense distinction between (1) the atmosphere where birds can be seen to fly, (2) the higher area where the sun, moon, and stars can be seen, and (3) the unseen realm where God dwells. This third area is equated with paradise (Gk.paradeisos, a Persian loan-word used in the Septuagint to refer to the garden of Eden [see Gen. 2:8–10; 13:10; Isa. 51:3; Ezek. 28:13; 31:8–9] but in the NT to refer to a place of blessedness where God dwells [Luke 23:43; Rev. 2:7]). Both terms would be recognized by Jewish readers as references to the realm of God's direct presence.fourteen years ago. Sometime between a.d. 42–44, around Tarsus or Antioch, prior to his first missionary journey (Acts 9:29–30; 11:25–26; see note on Acts 11:27–30 for ancient calculation of years). There is no other known record of this vision.

What is clear is that paradise is "third heaven". It obviously is not future but current, i.e. Jesus is residing there and Paul went there to see Him, either bodily or in spirit.

There are plenty of others there too.

Luke 23:42-43 (New International Version)

42 Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom."

43 Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise."

Abel, Enoch, Noah etc. Hebrews 11 Moses and Elijah Matthew 17 Stephen Acts 7:55-59 Lazarus Luke 16:19-31 and in fact, all who believe.

Blessings,

Stephen

• pirata
    pirata

Thank you Chalam. Interesting that both sources indicates it is Paul's own experience. After the more concise ESV notes seem to be more logical.

I think I'm going to pick up a hard-copy of the ESV study bible, thanks for pointing to it!

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Because the atmosphere there is different.

Jesus said "flesh and blood" cannot enter. We will have to have new bodies.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit