Length of Meetings - what do they total per week now?

by Little Imp 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Little Imp
    Little Imp

The meetings used to be three times a week and totalled five hours.

The Public Talk on a Sunday was reduced from one hour to three quarters of an hour whilst we were still attending and then following our fade we were aware that the Tuesday night Group Book Study was stopped.

Does this now mean the meetings total three and three quarter hours?

My husband was asking me this morning and I wasn't sure so wondered if anyone can help me out here.

Thanks.

LI

• cskyjw.sun
    cskyjw.sun

we have WT study on sunday,and together with the meeting for field service, it total up to 1hr45min.together with the mid week meetings(1hr45min)the total weekly meetings is 3hr30min

• Little Imp
    Little Imp

Thanks, is there any reason given as to why the meetings are getting shorter? I know it is better for everyone as no-one can concentrate for that lenghth of time anyway.

• teel
    teel

The official reason is that it's a loving arrangement to not overburden the "brothers", and let JWs have more time for personal study. Personally I think the high dropout rate scares them, so they try to ease things up a little - there are lots of such small changes, like pioneer hours dropped, less literature, shorter assemblies, etc.

I still can't believe how they can talk out of both sides of their mouths. Just weeks before the announcement about dropping the book study, the elders were still talking about how important it is to be present at every single meeting. Two weeks later that same elder says "what a loving arrangement to have one less meeting". I was the only one in the audience who was not clapping, (which is a paradox, because I was probably the happiest to have less meetings), because the hypochrisy was just so shocking.

Not long after that I realized that if dropping one meeting is loving, then dropping all five is five times better, so that's what I did

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde
    The meetings used to be three times a week and totalled five hours.

While on the subject, does anyone remember when the ministry school and service meeting were actually close to 2 hours and 15 minutes? That was because they had to add in 5 minutes for song and prayer in the beginning, a song in the middle, and song and prayer at the end. Can't remember if they did the same for the Sunday meetings.

• blondie
    blondie

OLDEN DAYS

Book Study = 1 hour (45 minutes field service before meeting)

TMS/SM = 7:30 to 9:30 (adjusted over time) = 2 hours

Public Talk = 1 hour with 15 minute intermission before WT Study

WT Study = 1 hour (went way over time when my grandfather conducted sometimes only doing 3 paragraphs)

5 hours 15 minutes

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

You have 3 1/2 hours for the actual boasting sessions. Do not forget to add in an hour per trip to the Kingdumb Hell, or more, for travel time and to get in and out of the dungeon. If you are a hounder or ride with one, it could well be 1 1/2 hours extra per trip to the Kingdumb Hell, or another 3 hours a week above and beyond the main boasting sessions.

And, let's not forget the 4 hours we are told to waste per week. That is called Family Waste the Evening Night, and the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger wants the witlesses to waste the full 4 hours each and every week on that crap. Of course, most families rarely waste even 2 hours on that, usually cutting it around 1/2 hour. But there are always going to be some families, usually with mean spirited fathers, that are going to insist that the children are going to waste the full 4 hours each and every week. That should be tacked onto the 6-6 1/2 hours per week associated with going to the Kingdumb Hell.

• scotinsw
    scotinsw

When did they get rid of the 15 minutes between the PT and WT? I can vaguely remember it when I was 3 or 4 years old so though would have been around 1984/5.

My parents love the fact that there is only 2 meetings a week now.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

the overbeer made us aware that they never took any meetings away, the home family study is still to be held in high esteem.........

do it or else!

• factfinder
    factfinder

I remember the 15 minute break between the PT and WT Study! They said they discontinued it because too many were leaving during the break and not staying for the WT.

If I was still going I'd be glad the meetings were condensed/shortend. I always wanted the WT study shortened. It was too dragged out and boring.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit